QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, August 25, 2006

QPR Go Down at Home - QPR 1 Ipswich 3

QPR 1 Ipswich 3At half time it was 0-0...Gallen put QPR ahead. Ipswich equalized from a controversial penalty. Then got a second. And got their their third a few minutes from time.



Gary Waddock slammed the refereeing decision which ultimately proved to be the turning point in the R's 3-1 defeat to Ipswich.

Goals from Simon Walton, Jason De Vos and Dean Bowditch gave Ipswich maximum points, but Waddock was left bemoaning the crucial decision which sparked the Tractor Boys' revival.

Gavin Williams appeared to go down all too easily under Damion Stewart's innocuous 59th minute challenge, but referee Mr Mason pointed to the spot and Walton did the rest to level the tie.

"I haven't seen the replay but the lads are convinced it was never a penalty.

"The referee was unsighted, but after originally deciding it wasn't, he then blew his whistle and pointed to the spot.

"There's no doubt that was the turning point.''

Waddock was less than happy with his own players though, commenting: "The second half performance wasn't good enough.

"We need to be more compact, because we were wide open in the second half.

"Going forward we looked bright, but defensively we didn't have the two banks of four and it cost us.

"I'll be looking for a massive response against Plymouth.''


Jim hails TV stars

Blues boss Jim Magilton hailed his players as magnificent after Town turned in a TV thriller to beat QPR 3-1 at Loftus Road.

Goals from Simon Walton, a penalty, and close range strikes from Jason De Vos and Dean Bowditch rounded off a superb display in front of the Sky TV cameras showing the game live.

"Every player was outstanding and I'm chuffed to bits for them," said Jim after he celebrated his first win as Blues' boss. "It was nice to play like that with the TV coverage as well.

Simon scores from the spot

"I have total belief in the players and knew they were capable of turning in a performance like that because I have seen them play like that on the training field.

"We passed the ball well all over the pitch and were outstanding for large chunks of the game and our play got our just rewards.

Then celebrates

"The win comes as a welcome relief obviously after the start we have had and we need to build on it over the coming weeks."

Although reluctant to pick out any player for individual praise Jim did add: "Gavin Williams was absolutely outstanding and Billy Clarke showed what he is all about.
"He has been waiting for his chance and showed that he is a terrific prospect for us

BBC REPORT - QPR 1-3 Ipswich

Ipswich came back from a goal down at Loftus Road to claim their first victory under new boss Jim Magilton.
QPR took the lead when Kevin Gallen bundled the ball over the line from close range.
But Simon Walton levelled from the spot soon after when Gavin Williams was brought down in the penalty area.
Jason De Vos put the visitors ahead when he reacted quickest from a corner and subsitute Dean Bowditch sealed their win with a late header.

Town claim first win
By Graeme Bailey - Created on 25 Aug 2006

Ipswich Town recorded their first victory of The Championship season as they came from behind to claim a 3-1 win.
Town deserved their three points after having the better of the chances throughout the 90 minutes - although Rangers will debate the validity of the penalty which led to Ipswich's equaliser.

The first half could have seen both sides take the lead, with Dexter Blackstock missing a guilt-edged chance for Rangers after being sent clear by strike-partner Ray Jones.

However, it was the visitors who should have taken the lead, with both Jason De Vos and youngster Billy Clarke going close - the latter striking the bar from just 12 yards out.

The second half saw Rangers take the lead just before the hour when captain Kevin Gallen latched upon a clearance in the box and shrugged off a challenge from Clarke before finishing clinically.

Ipswich were given their chance to level courtesy of a penalty, but the home side were left fuming as replays showed that Damion Stewart did not touch Gavin Williams as he went over in the box.

Loanee Simon Walton was tasked with taking the kick and he dispatched the ball into the corner.

Ipswich pushed on looking for a second and it almost came from Williams who fired in a superb volley from the edge of the box but it rebounded off the post.

However, The R's failed to take heed as a less than a minute later the ball fell for skipper De Vos at the back post and he fired home to give Ipswich the victory.

QPR had chances to level, but it was Ipswich who sealed victory as substitute Dean Bowditch headed home with just minutes left

QPR Official Site - Starting Line ups
QPR: P Jones, Rose, Stewart, Rehman, Milanese, Gallen, Ward, Lomas, Cook, Blackstock, R Jones.
Subs: Cole, Kanyuka, Oliseh, Bircham, Baidoo.
Ipswich Town: Price, Wilnis, Richards, De Vos, Bruce, Williams, Lee, Noble, Walton, Harding, Clarke.
Subs: Naylor, Currie, Sito, Bowditch, Haynes.


Two goals in eight crazy second half minutes and a late Dean Bowditch strike gave Ipswich maximum points in a free-flowing, end-to-end contest at Loftus Road.

Trailing to Kevin Gallen's opener, a controversial Simon Walton spot-kick and a simple close range finish from skipper Jason De Vos gave Jim Magilton's men a 2-1 lead.

Bowditch rounded off a great away day for the Tractor Boys with an 85th minute header, to seal Jim Magilton's men their first win of the Championship campaign.

Rangers had earlier taken the lead when Gallen poked home from close range on 57 minutes, but in truth the R's crept back into their shells thereafter and Ipswich were good value for their win.

It was goalless at the break, despite a flurry of goalscoring opportunities at both ends.

Ipswich striker Billy Clarke went closest to breaking the deadlock on 36 minutes, sending a fearsome shot against the face of the crossbar from a tight angle.

Rangers were by no means second best though, with Lee Cook at the heart of most of their positive play.

But it was Dexter Blackstock who squandered the R's best opportunity of the half, firing straight at Lewis Price in an end-to-end contest.

Gary Waddock was forced into two changes from the side which drew 1-1 at Preston on Saturday.

With Martin Rowlands and Gareth Ainsworth both failing late fitness tests, skipper Kevin Gallen was handed his first league start of the campaign on the right wing, while Steve Lomas was recalled in centre midfield.

Ipswich were minus the services of the injured Nicky Forster and Sam Parkin, who today joined Luton Town in a £340,000 deal.

The match was only 60 seconds old when Rangers fashioned their first attack.

Ray Jones played a neat one-two with Gallen and the returning skipper saw his shot blocked by Alex Bruce.

Half-hearted appeals for a handball were waved away by referee Mr Mason, as the R's opened in style.

The curse of the Sky Sports cameras clearly wasn't playing on the minds of the R's players in the opening exchanges and when Nicky Ward was gifted time and space on the edge of the box, only another fantastic block by Bruce prevented the Aussie from registering the hosts' first shot on target.

Despite their precarious league position, Ipswich weren't here to defend for 90 minutes and when Mark Noble sent in an in-swinging free-kick on six minutes, Damion Stewart was in the right place at the right time to clear after Paul Jones failed to catch a routine cross.

Play soon switched to the other end; with the lively Ward sending a piercing drive a yard over the bar after a neat interchange with central midfield partner Lomas.

Cook soon got in on the act too, sending a sweet curling effort into the arms of the perfectly positioned Lewis Price.

Cook soon turned provider on 16 minutes, sending an inch-perfect cross into the box, which Jones headed high and wide under pressure from De Vos.

Clarke's neat turn and shot forced Jones to scramble across his goal two minutes later, but in truth, that was as good as it got for the Tractor Boys early on.

Clarke had the bit between his teeth by now and when Matthew Richards sent him in on the left flank in the 20th minute, his speculative half volley from an acute angle brought the best out of Jones, who tipped the ball wide for a corner.

As the clock hit the 30 minute mark, there was slight cause for concern for the R's when Blackstock went to ground under another heavy challenge from De Vos.

Thankfully for Waddock, his £500,000 signing from Southampton soon returned to the fray after lengthy treatment.

The goal the home faithful were crying out for should've arrived on 34 minutes.

But after Blackstock was sent clean through by strike partner Jones, his weak effort was easily palmed to safety by Price.

The game was really beginning to open up and De Vos squandered an even easier chance for the visitors a minute later, shooting straight at Jones from the edge of the six-yard box.

The Tractor Boys were growing in statute as the half wore on and from their very next attack; Clarke rattled the face of the crossbar from 10 yards after beating Zesh Rehman to Alan Lee's precise through ball.

The Sky Sports viewers were being treated to a feast of end-to-end football by now and when Cook sent in a teasing cross from an unorthodox position on the right flank, first Fabian Wilnis, and then Jones, failed to get the crucial touch that would've surely resulted in the opening goal of a free-flowing contest.

The second half took time to spring into life, but when it did, it was Ipswich loanee Mark Noble who took the initiative.

After picking up the ball on the right flank from Lee, the West Ham United midfielder cut inside before stinging the palms of Jones at his near post.

Ipswich's positive start failed to deter the R's though and when Blackstock sent in an enticing cross from the left flank in the 57th minute, Gallen had two bites at the cherry before poking the ball past Price from little more than a yard.

It may've been scrappy, but Gallen - nor his team-mates - could care less.

Unfortunately, all their hard work was undone a minute later when Damion Stewart was adjudged to have upended Gavin Williams in the box and Walton fired the ball under Jones from the spot for his first goal in an Ipswich shirt

The penalty award looked a harsh one in real time and the Sky Sports cameras only served to confirm what was a shocking decision by referee Mr Mason.

Buoyed by their goal, the visitors were beginning to enjoy the lion's share of possession and on 66 minutes, Harding forced Jones into a fine tip over, before Noble pummelled the right hand post with a stunning volley.

Rangers didn't heed the warning though and from the resultant corner, De Vos fired home at the back post to send the Ipswich fans into raptures.

Waddock threw caution to the wind, with the introduction of Shabazz Baidoo and Marc Bircham seeing the R's switch to an attacking 3-4-3 formation.

A speculative up-and-under from Gallen caused panic in the Ipswich box, with Jones and then Rehman seeing their efforts blocked.

But it was Ipswich who struck gold five minutes from time courtesy of second half substitute Bowditch.

The Town striker gave Jones absolutely no chance, sending his powerful back post header past the Welsh number one from the edge of the six-yard box.

QPR: P Jones, Rose, Rehman, Stewart, Milanese (Baidoo 76), Gallen, Lomas (Bircham 71), Ward, Cook, Blackstock, R Jones.
Subs: Cole, Kanyuka, Oliseh.
Scorers: Gallen 57
Ipswich Town: Price, Wilnis, Richards, De Vos, Bruce, Williams (Currie 90), Lee (Haynes 86), Noble, Walton, Harding, Clarke (Bowditch 76).
Subs: Naylor, Sito.
Scorers: Walton 59, De Vos 67, Bowditch 85
Referee: L S Mason
Attendance: 10, 918


Ipswich beat QPR 3-1 at Loftus Road on Friday to seal their first win of the season.

Trailing to Kevin Gallen's 58th-minute goal, Jim Magilton's men equalised through Simon Walton's penalty before Jason De Vos gave them the lead in the 67th minute and substitute Dean Bowditch sealed the triumph in the closing stages.

It was Ipswich's first victory in 16 attempts - their last came at home to Leicester on February 25 - and they were indebted to Gavin Williams, who had a hand in all three goals and was masterful in midfield.

After QPR took the lead, Ipswich bounced back within three minutes. Referee Lee Mason angered the home fans by ruling Damion Stewart had tripped Williams inside the box, and Walton - on loan from Charlton - steered the penalty under Paul Jones' body.

Williams was desperately unlucky not to give Ipswich the lead with a sweet 20-yard volley from Noble's 67th-minute corner that smacked against the right post and was turned behind for a corner by Gallen.

Ipswich's frustration lasted less than a minute, though, because Noble's resulting corner found the unmarked De Vos, who scored from four yards at the far post.

De Vos then proved his worth in his own area with a brave clearance to deny Stewart - and four minutes from time Ipswich wrapped it up when Williams' cross bounced off Rehman into the path of Bowditch, who headed in from six yards.

Sporting Life


Goals from Simon Walton, Jason De Vos and Dean Bowditch rounded off a superb Town display as Jim Magilton celebrated his first win as Blues boss in style.

Kevin Gallen gave Rangers the lead against the run of play with a close range finish on 58 minutes but Blues were level on the hour, Walton converting from the penalty spot after Gavin Williams had been brought down.

De Vos scored his second goal in successive games on 68 minutes when he guided home Alan Lee's flick on with his left foot and Bowditch completed the scoring with a header after more good work by the outstanding Williams.

Town lined up with seven players under the age of 22, Billy Clarke making his first start of the season. Alex Bruce lined up alongside De Vos at the back in place of Richard Naylor with loanees Walton and Mark Noble both returning to the team after missing the Carling Cup defeat at Peterborough.

Clarke showed a sign of what was to come as early as the fifth minute, a lovely backheel almost putting Lee in on goal.

Matt Richards' free-kick was dropped by Paul Jones in the QPR goal seconds later under De Vos' challenge while at the other end, Nick Ward fired just over from 20 yards.

Clarke's pace again troubled the home defence and his cross was almost met by the onrushing Lee, Zesh Rehman just averting the danger.

Both sides continued to play good football at a high tempo, Ray Jones heading over at the far post, then Clarke sending a 25 yard drive just wide.

The Republic of Ireland U19 striker tested Jones with a powerful near post volley as Blues continued to create openings.

Richards almost embarrassed Jones with a 40 yard free-kick that beat the veteran Welsh international and the crossbar, before the QPR 'keeper's international team-mate, Lewis Price, produced an excellent save to deny Dexter Blackstock from close range on 33 minutes.

That sparked an array of chances at the other end with De Vos denied by Jones from six yards, then Clarke smashing a right foot shot against the bar after a marauding run by Lee.

Fabian Wilnis showed great awareness to avoid sending a dangerous Cook cross past Price into his own net, ducking under the ball at the last second and fooling Jones at the same time.

Price saved well from the lively Cook as an entertaining first-half drew to a close.

Town dominated the early stages of the second-half but it was Gary Waddock's side who took the lead. Bruce was off the pitch with a nose injury and Gallen took advantage,easing the ball past Price from three yards as he shrugged off Clarke's challenge.

Blues were level two minutes later, Williams went down under a challenge from Damion Stewart and Walton scored his first goal for the Club, tucking his strike under Jones from the penalty spot.

Mark Noble and Dan Harding both went close as Blues dominated possession and Williams rattled a post with a brilliant volley, De Vos just failing to force the ball home from the rebound.

From the resultant corner Blues deservedly went ahead, De Vos finding the net after Lee had flicked on.

Bowditch replaced the impressive Clarke on 75 minutes and soon after ended his Town goal drought that has lasted two months short of two years with a header from six yards after Williams had weaved his way into the Rangers' box.

It was the perfect way to end a perfect performance from Blues.

Town: Price, Wilnis, Bruce, De Vos, Harding, Noble, Williams (Currie 90), Walton, Richards, Lee (Haynes 87), Clarke (Bowditch 76). Subs not used: Sito, Naylor.

BBC Minute By Minute
Text Minute by Minute

Blog Archive