QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Aldershot's Perspective/Report - Aldershot Reserves 0 QPR Reserves 3

Aldershot Official Site
Shots Reserves 0-3 QPR Reserves

A full round up of Tuesday afternoon's events at the Rec together with photographs from Ian Morsman
(The Recreation Ground)
Pontin's Holiday Combination

Tuesday 5th September 2006
(Report by Gordon Macey)

Manager Terry Brown used the game to give a run out to the members of the playing squad who did not start Saturday's Conference match against Halifax, the exception being new arrival Ben Harding who started both games.

Aldershot started with a 4-3-3 formation of Louis Wells in goal, a defence of Ryan Scott, Will Salmon, Phil Anderson, and Jason Milletti; a midfield of Sean Ridgway, David Lee and Ben Harding; with Kirk Hudson, Joel Grant and Mark Pritchard up front.

The QPR side contained a mixture of fringe first team squad and youth players. The front pair of Nygaard and Czerkas being given an outing to prove their fitness prior to Rangers' league match at Plymouth on Saturday.

Following early pressure The Shots earned a corner from which a move involving Scott, Lee and Harding ended with a saving tackle from a Rangers defender in the box. QPR then came more into the game with some good passing movements and a couple a crosses into the box which were held by Wells.

On 13 minutes the visitors took the lead through the lively Baidoo when a pass from Hislop curled round Scott to the feet of the running Baidoo who rolled the ball passed the advancing Wells. The Shots had an immediate chance to restore parity but both the shots from Harding and Hudson were blocked by defenders. After 20 minutes a good inter-change between Grant and Ridgway led to a looped effort from Harding that was headed of the line by a retreating defender.

With the balance of play more with the visitors they had a move when Czerkas laid the ball off to Nygaard and his pass back the Polish U21 International resulted in a shot that was deflected for a corner. Aldershot responded well with a deep cross from Salmon just evading the outstretched leg of Pritchard. On 34 minutes Rangers had a strong appeal for a penalty when Czerkas ran through from midfield only to go down in the box under a challenge. The referee was not swayed and waved play on.

Five minutes before the break a quick free kick from Salmon to Ridgway who passed to Lee to float a cross into the box, which just cleared the bar. Both sides had a chance to score before the interval with Rangers coming closest when Tchakounte won the ball from the midfield and advanced before firing in an effort from 25 yards. The Shots response was a Ridgway effort from a similar distance after a good forward run by Anderson from the back.

So at the break the Championship side held onto their slender lead but neither side had really had made a threatening effort on goal to test the keeper. Although Aldershot had a fair percentage of possession they were unable to get the ball through the front men mainly due to the tight covering from the R's defence.

At the break Rangers substituted Nygaard with the similar styled Sappleton. Five minutes into the second period Aldershot had a half chance when good footwork from Grant enabled him to get the ball out wide to Milletti who crossed in to the middle for Hudson, whose scuffed shot went past the left hand post. On the hour the visitors had an opportunity to double their lead when Czerkas turned well on the edge of the penalty area and chipped the retreating Wells, but thankfully for Aldershot the ball just cleared the bar. Once again the Shots responded well with a move from deep which saw Grant feed through to Hudson for a cross shot that had the Rangers keeper scampering across his goal.

Halfway through the half Rangers made another substation with O'Connell replacing Oliseh on the right wing. Shortly after the change Pritchard headed a Lee cross on to the post, only to be given offside. On 76 minutes Rangers extended their lead when after a good run down the left by Baidoo, he crossed into the box and with the ball not being cleared properly Sappleton pounced on the loose ball to fire low passed Wells. With 10 minutes to go Rangers made their 3rd change when Czerkas was replaced by Taku.

On 85 minutes The Shots had a patient build up which involved many short passes to feet among several players before Pritchard had a snap effort just go the wrong side of the post. Just a minute later the game was put beyond the home side when Baidoo took the ball off Wells as he dribbled inside the area to roll the ball into an empty net.

Overall the visitors had the edge in possession and made use of their extra physical presence. Although a fairly entertaining game the match was devoid of any real goal mouth action from either side. The 3 goal margin was probably more than the visitors deserved but they did get the ball through to their front men on many occasions, which Aldershot were not able to do.

After the game Terry Brown said that he was pleased with game as it gave a good run out for the youngsters and they played well, but just lacked a cutting edge. With a number of square pegs in round holes in defence (two full backs playing in central positions) it made it a bit more difficult. He added that he thought that Joel Grant showed fine movement up front.

Aldershot Town:
Louis Wells, Ryan Scott, Jason Milletti, David Lee, Phil Anderson, Will Salmon, Sean Ridgway, Ben Harding, Mark Pritchard, Joel Grant, Kirk Hudson.
Subs ' Barry Breen, Craig Parker, Matt Madders (all unused)

Queen's Park Rangers:
Jake Cole, Aaron Goode, Matt Hislop, Armel Tchakounte, Pat Kanyuka, Andrew Howell, Shabazz Baidoo, Stefan Bailey, Marc Nygaard, Adam Czerkas, Egutu Oliseh
Subs ' Jon Munday (not used), Harry Smart (not used), Taku Watanabe (for Czerkas 80 mins.), Matthew O'Connell (for Oliseh 64 mins.), Ricky Sappleton (for Nygaard at half time)

Aldershot Town '

QPR ' Baidoo 13, Sappleton 76, Baidoo 86


Blog Archive