QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Holloway Expressing Himself About QPR!

-
All even on south coast as Holloway vents his anger

Anna Kessel at Home Park
Sunday September 10, 2006
The Observer


Ian Holloway left behind pistol hold-ups, courtroom drama, boardroom wranglings and severe debt problems for a sunny spot on the south coast - and some spending money. But the former QPR manager's feelings still burn on the subject of his treatment by the London club. And so guessed the press who turned up hungry for some 'BMW' (bitching, moaning, and whingeing, in Holloway speak) after he faced his old club.
Holloway was initially restrained - he didn't even mention QPR in his programme notes - but succumbed after the match. 'I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't emotional about it. Shall I tell you what brassed me off? When I left and he [Gary Waddock, current QPR manager] said, "I'm going to change the style of football played here overnight." He said it over and over again. But it was me who gave the fella a job in the first place.'

Holloway went on to list his frustrations. 'I was starved of cash, lost my chief scout, wasn't allowed to make decisions about the team. Then they threw me out and chucked me in the garden after five years. I thought it was unfair. I'm glad today's over because I shouldn't be sweating up in the paddock and today I was rather too lathered up for a horse of my experience.'

It was experience versus the upstart then as the two managers paced the touchline. The visitors had the better start as Dexter Blackstock, the 21-year-old former Southampton striker who sojourned at Plymouth two seasons ago, got a touch to Lee Cook's pass. The resulting shot was weak but crept its way over the goalline. Plymouth, however, would not be overawed.

Their 34-year-old signing Barry Hayles threatened with a number of chances, and the team pressed right from the back, with Paul Connolly a major presence. The growing confidence produced an equaliser through Connolly's incisive pass to home debutant Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, who struck to level the score. The 20-year-old was a £300,000 signing from Manchester United, who had spent last season in the doldrums at their feeder club Royal Antwerp. His consequent frustration was now put to good use. On the touchline Holloway did his best to gee up the crowd, whooping his arms at the referee and gesticulating at his opposite, Waddock.

The former Ireland international's team were physical on the field but failed to replicate Plymouth's passing game. The home side should have capitalised following a series of near misses from Hayles and Ebanks-Blake in the second half, and QPR were - quite rightly - happy to go home with a point. Waddock insisted the occasion had been unmarked by any personal differences but admitted he was pleased with the draw. 'They put us under a hell of a lot of pressure,' he said, 'other teams will come down here and not leave with anything.' Except perhaps an ear-bashing from Holloway. But who would have it any other way?

Man of the match: Sylvain Ebanks-Blake

The youngster harried and jostled and did not look out of place alongside a player 14 years his senior. He scored on his debut, but if he can convert a better percentage of the chances he creates he will be a Home Park legend.

-Observer

Blog Archive