QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Snippets: Walton Speaks...Cook Speaks...Shittu Sell on?...Chris Day Q&A...Flashback Two Years: Baidoo Injury-Time Equalizer

-
PLYMOUTH OFFICIAL SITE SIMON SAYS
NEW record signing Simon Walton has said that Plymouth Argyle is the ideal place to get his career back on track.
The 20-year-old signed for Argyle for an undisclosed record fee on Wednesday having completed the formalities of a four year deal.
Simon said: "The move is massive.
"Over the past year with injuries, I've hit bit of a brick wall so I think this is an ideal place to get back on track and get where I want to be personally and as part of the team as well.
Walton said that although the location of the club was a factor in his decision to join the Pilgrims, he really wanted to come here for the football.
He said: "The place is lovely but to be honest I've come for a football point of view.
"Football comes first and I see this as a great move for my career.
"Obviously the area is nice, and it will hopefully be somewhere I can settle in but as I said, the football came first.
"That's my main priority.
"It was something I felt I had to do and I'm glad to be here now."
Despite his tender age, Simon has already played at Home Park for several different clubs and knows full well what a difficult place Home Park is to visit.
Walton said: "I played here five times and I know that players don't really want to come here because it's very difficult.
"It's also been hostile to say the least at times which is a good thing if you're on the home team.
Walton is expected to go straight into the team to face Wolves on Saturday and is relishing the opportunity.
"It's really exciting" said the youngster.
"It's a fresh start for me and I want to make the best start possible.
"It'll be a tough game but there are tough games in this league.
"I think that it's even harder this year in terms of picking out two teams that are going to finish near the top.
"It's very hard league to predict and anyone is in with a chance at both ends."
Plymouth


Plymouth Official JIGSAW PIECE
ARGYLE manager Paul Sturrock is delighted to have landed new signing Simon Walton.
Walton, who began his career with Leeds United, signed from QPR for an undisclosed club record fee on Wednesday.
Sturrock said: "As I've said before I think a football team is a jigsaw puzzle and I think that when certain pieces come up, it's important that you try and grab them.
"We've been looking in the market for this kind of midfield player and his age is of great benefit as well.
"He's got a range of passes, he's good in the air and he's got all that a sitting midfielder needs.
"The laddy has been shunted from pillar to post and it's important to bed him down to a 40-plus season and then we'll get fantastic service of him.
"He has all the pedigree to kick on and if he listens, which I'm sure he will, he's got the chance to be a fantastic player and have a fantastic career.
"He'll be included on Saturday and he's going to play, unless he falls over!
"We've got Thursday and Friday to put a bit of shape to him, tell him what we're looking for and then the baptism of fire turns ups so he'll hopefully swim rather than sink."
Luggy also said that Walton reminded him of a young Stevie Adams.
Adams made over 150 appearances for the Pilgrims in an eight year spell before leaving to join Luggy at Sheffield Wednesday.
Sturrock said: "If you remember what I said Stevie Adams bought to this football team, I think we've got the same ilk.
"I was actually talking to Stevie last night and I said that we've actually got a better player than him.
"Stevie didn't like that comment!"... Plymouth


Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - Cook: I'm here to stay
LEE Cook is looking to pick up where he left off when he pulls on the blue and white hoops once more against Barnsley this weekend.

The fans' favourite is finally back at QPR after a year down the road at Fulham - during which his old club tried to re-sign him on several occasions.

Now the winger, whose year-long loan is all but certain to become permanent next summer, is set for his third Rangers debut when the new Championship season kicks off on Saturday.

"I'm hoping I can play against Barnsley, even if I blast 75 or 80 minutes," said Cook, who celebrated his 26th birthday by returning to the club he supported as a boy.

"It's a long season and everyone will be getting used to the tempo for the first two or three games anyway. I want to perform consistently as I did in the last season before I left.

"I'm happy to be back - I didn't want to go to any other club but QPR and in my eyes I'm here now for the next three years.

"When I came back with Charlton at the end of last season, my dad and grandad were up in the stand and had tears in their eyes at the reception I got.

"It was emotional hearing 17,000 people chanting your name. I've got a special relationship with the fans and I want to entertain them again this year."

Cook's £2.5m move to Fulham a year ago quickly turned sour - although he made an appearance in their pre-season defeat by Rangers, a botched knee operation scuppered his chances of first-team football.

By the time he regained fitness, Craven Cottage boss Lawrie Sanchez had been sacked and replaced by Roy Hodgson, who decided to send Cook on what proved to be an indifferent loan spell at Charlton.

"It was pretty much a write-off season for me and it was always going to be difficult to go back and try and break into the team," Cook reflected. "He [Hodgson] had got his own players in and I wasn't going to be given a chance. I was getting vibes from the management that I wasn't in their plans.

"I was saying to my agent 'if things don't happen at Fulham, there's only one place I want to go. I don't want to go to any team in this league other than QPR."

Fortunately, new QPR boss Iain Dowie was a confirmed admirer of Cook - who had been highly recommended by his brother Bob, a team-mate of the winger during his days at non-league Aylesbury United.

He failed to persuade Cook to move to Coventry in 2007, but finally got his man last weekend, just before the Rs also secured the loan signing of Real Madrid youngster Daniel Parejo.

"They're two quality acquisitions," declared Dowie. "Cookie will add something different to our game and Dan's the same. What I've seen already on the training ground excites me."

Parejo, 19, has also agreed a one-year loan deal - brokered as a result of QPR chairman Flavio Briatore's friendship with Ramon Calderon, the president of the Spanish giants.

A regular for Real's reserve team Castilla last season, Parejo is a Spanish under-19 international and also scored in last weekend's 2-1 victory over Hamburg in the Emirates Cup.

Should they be promoted to the top flight this season, Rangers will have an option to sign the midfield playmaker on a permanent basis next summer.

And Cook - who consistently stated his desire to represent QPR in the Premier League even at a time when the club were battling to stave off relegation to League One - is confident of realising that ambition in the near future.

He added: "You've got to believe it, otherwise it won't happen. Even before, I used to think it, but now that dream is closer, with the money the owners are pumping in and what they've done to the ground.

"This team is made for the Premier League, they deserve another crack at the big time. Hopefully I'll be a part of it because that'd be the ultimate dream. Kiburn Times


Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - No sweeping changes for Swindon

IAIN Dowie has pledged to send a strong side to Swindon on Tuesday night as QPR attempt to improve on their abysmal cup record.

Rangers have only progressed beyond the second round of the League Cup once in the last 12 years - and even that statistic makes favourable reading alongside their catalogue of calamities in the FA Cup.

Last season, former boss John Gregory fielded several reserve players in the first round at home to Leyton Orient and watched his side deservedly lose 2-1.

"If you disrespect the lower leagues, you get punched in the nose," Dowie observed. "We'd never underestimate any team and we'll treat Swindon with the utmost respect.

"I've got a lot of faith in my squad. I've made changes in cup games before, but it won't be root and branch change. My view is we want to go to Swindon and win and we'll go there with a strong team."

Dowie accepts his squad's strength in depth will be tested during the first few games of the season, with two creative players - Rowan Vine and Akos Buzsaky - still on the injured list and a third, Martin Rowlands, suspended.

"It's unfortunate that we're missing them, but we'll have to cope with that," added the QPR manager. "I'm a great lover of Akos, I've seen Martin's qualities and I like Viney's spikiness - he can't wait to get back."

Defender Damion Stewart will be available again at the County Ground after sitting out the Barnsley game through suspension. Kilburn Times


Danny Shittu Sell-on Fee to QPR?
- Danny Shittu Joins Bolton from Watford exactly two years after signing for Watford from QPR - BBC Sae
re Sell on Question" 10%? (whether on total sale or just Watford profit, if any, not clear) QPR Report - QPR - "Shittu Joins Watford" ---Recalling Almost Joining WBA


Vital Football/QPR - Interview with Chris Day on his time at QPR - - Chris Day Q&A


Two Years Ago: Recalling Shabbaz Baidoo's injury-time Equalizer against Leeds"...With the 90 minutes up, Ainsworth hooked Cook's left-wing cross back into the danger zone, and Baidoo was there to score from a yard..." QPR's team: P Jones, Bignot (Baidoo 76), Rose, Stewart, Milanese, Ainsworth, Lomas, Rowlands (Bircham 89), Cook, Ward, Czerkas (Jones 54). Subs: Cole, Kanyuka. Goals: Rowlands 80 (pen), Baidoo 90 -- QPR 2- Leeds 2 - Match Reports

Blog Archive