QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tim Flowers NOT Yet Happy With QPR ...Nick Ward Getting Over his Olympic Disappointment

-
BBC -Flowers not happy despite victory
QPR assistant manager Tim Flowers insists the team still have a lot to work on despite their 4-0 thrashing of Carlisle in the Carling Cup.
Flowers told BBC London 94.9: "Speaking as a defensive player I was not happy with us. We have got to make sure we do not play too open.
"We still have quite a bit to do and we have to build from the back forward."
Striker Emmanuel Ledesma scored a hat-trick as his side booked a spot in the third round of the competition. BBC
Listen to Tim Flowers


Nick Ward spurred on by Olympics - Grantley Bernard/Herald Sun
THE Olympic Games are over and it's time for Nick Ward to move on.

But that does not mean the residual disappointment of not being in Beijing with the Olyroos has disappeared for the Melbourne Victory attacking midfielder.

Having been a valuable team and squad member in the qualifying process to make the Olympics, Ward was overlooked for final selection, along with other surprise omissions Bruce Djite and Nathan Burns.

There was never any real personal explanation from Olyroos coach Graham Arnold for leaving him out, so Ward has tried to forge ahead and get ready for an A-League campaign to salve the Olympic wound.

"It was very disappointing for me," Ward said.

"I was involved with the squad for three years and I certainly wanted to go. But (Arnold) had to make the decision and I didn't fit into that. I'm sure my injuries haven't helped me. I wasn't at the last few camps, and maybe that was a factor and he thought I couldn't get up for every game. But he made his decision and I've moved on from that.

"I was disappointed and I have moved on and I'm focused on the A-League, and I think we're going to give it a real good shake this year."

After missing the first two games of the A-League season with a calf injury, Ward is aiming to play tomorrow night against Newcastle Jets at Telstra Dome. He is likely to come off the bench if fit and selected.

Troubled by groin problems when he arrived from English club Queens Park Rangers just before Christmas, Ward has been doing extra training such as pilates to make sure he keeps his body in good shape.

The Young Player of the Year in the A-League's first season with Perth Glory, Ward will use his Olyroos snub as motivation to push him through the season with Victory.
"I think we play pretty good football and we play for the crowd," Ward said.
"We've got a good squad and built it from last year.

"We were disappointed not to make the finals, especially with our run towards the end, because if we had made the finals, we probably would have won it." Herald Sun


Leroy Griffiths Playing for Staines last night - Match Report

Blog Archive