QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bircham on Rejecting Playing WIth Beckham at LA Galaxy!

-
Daily Mail -
Play with Becks in LA? No thanks, I’d rather go to Yeovil

While David Beckham jets off to play for a Galaxy far, far away, Marc Bircham prefers football in Ciderspace.
The former QPR defender has turned down the chance to join Beckham amid the sunshine and glamour of California's West Coast. He's off to the West Country instead after signing for League One side Yeovil Town.
Bircham, 29, said: "If I'd gone to Galaxy I'd have played with David Beckham, which would have been interesting. But you can't think about things like that when you are making a decision about your career.
"It might be exciting to play with Becks but Galaxy didn't feel like the right fit and, for a number of reasons, it wasn't something I wanted to pursue."
Perhaps what clinched it was deciding he would not have looked good in LA Galaxy's new all-white kit. Bircham, who once dyed his hair blue, does not need Posh and Becks for fashion tips.
"My wife said I look good in hoops and after QPR there weren't that many options," he said.
Yeovil assistant boss Steve Thompson told the club's website: "I'm sure the fans will warm to him, he is a loud and extravagant character, although he doesn't have the coloured hair that distinguished him.
"He might feel he has gone past that stage now but if he does (colour it) then I'm sure that will go down well with the fans." (Mail)

INDEPENDENT -

"Marc Bircham has revealed he had the chance to be David Beckham's midfield partner at LA Galaxy after leaving Queen's Park Rangers but turned it down in favour of Yeovil.
"It might be exciting to play with Becks, but Galaxy didn't feel like the right fit and for a number of reasons it wasn't something I wanted to pursue," he said.
"Of course another factor was that my wife said I look good in hoops and after QPR there weren't that many options." Independent

And Bircham on Joining YeovilYEOVIL OFFICIAL SITE Bircham - Glovers' Semi Final Performance Swung It For Me
"I think that we have a great chance this year."

New signing Marc Bircham has today been telling Glovers World how Yeovil Town's performance in the play-off semi final second leg against Nottingham Forest influenced him to eventually join the club.
Bircham signed for the Glovers yesterday on a two year deal after having been released by Queens Park Rangers at the end of last season.
The tough tackling midfielder explained that he had been impressed by Russell Slade when he met him at the end of last week, but as he told Glovers World, he had already had an excellent impression of the squad's potential after watching that incredible match at the City Ground:
"I met Russell, and I went with an open mind," he said.
"It was in a week that I had been talking to a lot of clubs, and he just won me over.
"I watched Yeovil a couple of times last year, and was really impressed with the way they played.
"And I think that the country was impressed with the way they came back against Nottingham Forest!
"I was watching that game from a bar in Spain, and I think that most of the people in the bar wanted Yeovil to come back into the game.
"They were really unlucky not to have gone up in the end.
"It was very similar to when I was at QPR when we missed out in the play-off final as well.
"But on that occasion, we went up the next year.
"I can see that the Gaffer has made some good signings here, and I think that we have a great chance this year."... - Yeovil

BIRCHAM DIARY ON 'ICONS'
Why I chose the hoops of Yeovil
I've joined Yeovil and I'm really happy to get the deal sorted out and now I can't wait for the new season to start.
It's been difficult at QPR and it was obvious for a while that I would be leaving. There were a couple of other options and I looked at them, but in the end Yeovil was easily the best option for me.
They had a great season last year, just losing the play-off final after finishing fifth and there is definitely the ambition here to build on that. It's a good set-up and there is every reason to believe that I could be back in the Championship next year.
My wife said I look good in hoops and after QPR there weren't that many options.
Of course another factor was that my wife said I look good in hoops and after QPR there weren't that many options. Truthfully, though, this is a very good club and you feel there is the desire to keep building and moving forward.
Because I was pretty sure I'd be moving in the summer I had the operation on my back early in the year. That meant I would be fit and ready to play now. I'm feeling good and although it's going to be tough during pre-season I've been through three QPR pre-seasons at an army camp so I can survive anything.
Of course there is some disappointment at leaving Rangers because it's a great club that is very close to my heart. But when you don't get on with the chairman it's a big thing. In my view things have to change at the top at Rangers if the club is going to move forward because it is not happening at the moment.
It's been a strange last year and I did have a bit of interest from North America, from LA Galaxy and from Toronto. I went over there and I was impressed and of course if I'd gone to Galaxy I'd have played with David Beckham, which would have been interesting.
But the fact is that you can't think about things like that when you are making a decision about your career. It might be exciting to play with Becks, but Galaxy didn't feel like the right fit and for a number of reasons it wasn't something I wanted to pursue...
Icons

YEOVIL ON BIRCHAM SIGNING
Steve Thompson has been talking to the Western Morning News about the signing of Midfielder Marc Bircham.

GLOVERS SEAL DEAL TO BRING IN BIRCHAM
Yeovil Town manager Russell Slade has made up for the loss of midfielder Paul Terry and Jean-Paul Kalala by snapping up former Millwall and Queen's Park Rangers midfielder Marc Bircham on a free transfer.
The 29-year-old was released by the Hoops at the end of last season, after making 149 appearances in five years at Loftus Road. He spent the early part of this summer on trial at Toronto FC.
However, he has agreed a two-year deal with Slade's side and, with defensive midfielders Terry joining Leyton Orient and Kalala heading to Oldham Athletic, his signing will add some steel to the Yeovil engine room.
The Glovers fended off interest from Coca-Cola League One rivals Luton Town, Gillingham and Bournemouth for his signature and, he is set to join up with his new team-mates at their pre-season training camp at RAF Honington in Suffolk today.
Bircham's arrival was welcomed by Yeovil's assistant manager Steve Thompson, who hinted that further signings could be imminent.
"We are always on the look-out for more players and we are still one short on what we had last year in the middle of the park. We had four last year with [Anthony] Barry, [Paul] Terry, [JP] Kalala and [Chris] Cohen, and we only have three at the moment, so I would think there is a good chance of us getting another midfielder in before the season starts," Thompson said.
"We have a list of players that we are interested in, and a wide player might also come up because the wide players we have [Ishmael Welsh and Jerahl Hughes] are very young, so we might look for a bit more experience and for someone to go in straight away."
As for the arrival of Canadian international Bircham, Thompson added: "It's a good signing for us, he is experienced and has done very well for Millwall and QPR. He is a similar type of player to Paul Terry and JP [Kalala] and he is very atheltic as well, so we hope he will give us more variety in midfield.
"He was attracting interest from a number of other League clubs as well, he has had two promotions from League One, and we needed another midfielder as we lost three with Chris Cohen, Paul Terry and JP.
"It is certainly a position that we needed to strengthen and we have got someone who has spent the last four years in the Championship, so that is the kind of pedigree that he has.
"I'm sure the fans will warm to him, he is a loud and extravagant character, although he doesn't have the coloured hair that distinguished him! He might feel he has gone past that stage now, but, if he does, then I'm sure that will go down well with the fans."
After signing forms with the Somerset club, Bircham headed straight to Suffolk, where he will be put through his paces at the club's RAF base.... Yeovil

Blog Archive