QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Deaths Announced of Two Former QPR Players - RIP

Express and Star - Villa and Albion legend dies

Dugdale, who played as a centre-half, famously played for FA Cup-winning sides for Albion and Villa in the 1950s.

He died in hospital after a long illness at the age of 76.

The Liverpool-born former defender played in the 1954 final when the Baggies beat Preston North End 3-2 and was part of Villa’s line-up three years later with they triumphed against Manchester United 2-0.

Former Albion director Joe Brandrick said: “Jimmy was a fine player in one of the best Albion teams of all time when they won the FA Cup and finished runners-up in the old First Division.

“He followed in the great traditions of Bill Richardson, Jack Vernon and Joe Kennedy – quality footballers in their own right and previous incumbents of the position.”

Neil Rioch, chairman of the Villa Former Players’ Association, said today: “He was not only a great footballer – he would have won many England caps but for Billy Wright – but an even greater person.

“He always faced life with a smile, despite life not dealing him the best hand.”

Dugdale joined Albion in June 1952, making 75 appearances, 63 in the league.

He helped the Baggies lift the FA Cup in 1954 and finish runners-up to Wolves in the league in the same season, winning three England B caps.

Joining Villa in January 1956, Dugdale made 330 appearances – 215 in the league – at the heart of the claret and blue defence, winning the Cup in 1957, the Second Division title in 1960 and the League Cup 12 months later before moving to QPR in 1962.

He never properly recovered from a cartilage injury sustained in a Second City derby in 1962 and he retired in 1963.

He later became a publican in Witton.

Dugdale leaves a wife, Dorothy, two daughters, Debbie and Nicola and a son, Russell. Express and star

METRO -Disturbed son kept feeding dead parents

A mentally ill man continued to feed and care for his elderly parents after they had died, an inquest heard today.

John Dumsday, 85, was badly decomposed when he was found dead in his chair at the family home in Southbourne, Dorset.

The pensioner, who played football for Queens Park Rangers in his youth, had napkins where his son Paul had been continuing to feed him.

His 83-year-old wife Christine, was found wearing a personal stereo playing music, when their bodies were found on August 25 last year.

A post-mortem examination showed she had died of natural causes due to heart disease, malnutrition and an undetected tumour in her kidney, a coroner in Bournemouth was told.

The inquest heard Mr Dumsday was a sportsman before and during the war. He played cricket for the London XI team and football for Queens Park Rangers before he joined the Royal Air Force.

He was discharged from service after injuring his leg and went on to become an estate agent.

Coroner's officer Michael Humphries said: "The son, who had mental problems, thought his parents were still alive.

"He was taken away by police and later admitted to St Ann's Hospital."

The inquest heard Mrs Dumsday had been admitted to the same psychiatric hospital in Poole suffering from delusions of impending doom and muteness in 1991 but discharged herself.

Coroner Sheriff Payne recorded a verdict of natural causes for Mrs Dumsday and an open verdict for her husband. Metro

Blog Archive