QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

De Canio Settling in...Ephraim Happy to Be Here

-
Setanta/Joseph Caron Dawe - De Canio settled in England
Queens Park Rangers manager Luigi De Canio says he has conquered the language barrier that has inhibited his communication with his team since he took over at Loftus Road almost four months ago.
The Italian has been speaking to his players in training through an interpreter as well as addressing the press in a similar manner, but the 50-year-old maintains he is now almost fluent in English and is fully able to correspond with his staff.
"I am using English in training virtually all the time now, especially if I am speaking one-on-one with a player," declared De Canio, who has steered QPR six points clear of the relegation zone.
"With the players, I think I have reached the stage where I can understand and I can make myself understood.
"We certainly know how to play and how to please our supporters with entertaining football."
Speaking ahead of the West London side’s Championship clash with Barnsley on Tuesday evening, De Canio explained the thinking behind his appointment of two club captains.
"(Martin) Rowlands is the captain on the pitch, and (Gareth) Ainsworth represents QPR off it," said De Canio.
"They represent the past and the present and, for me, they sum up what QPR is all about."
One player who is feeling the benefits of the former Siena manager’s new regime at Loftus Road is Hogan Ephraim.
The ex-West Ham trainee crossed London to join QPR in January and believes it will not be long before his decision to drop a division will be vindicated.
"It was not a difficult decision for me to leave West Ham and come to QPR,” said the 19-year-old.
"I was here on loan, then the new owners came in and I went back to West Ham and when I was back there I was looking at the papers every day and there was lots of talk about QPR.
"Even some of the big named players at West Ham were reading about what was going on here and saying to me that it was exciting times.
"If I didn't think QPR was a club on the way up I would not have left West Ham
."
Ephraim also believes De Canio, combined with joint-owners Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore, can lead the club to success.
"We do see the new owners, they come and see us in the changing room after the games and it is good that they are mixing with the boys and they are involved,” he added.
"I think a lot of people thought that they would treat the club like their little plaything - but they are not like that at all.
"It is a good time to be here and this club is only going one place and that is The Premier League and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later." Setanta

Blog Archive