QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ex-QPR Danny Cullip On Gillingham ...Son of QPR to Hull...Kudos to Blackstock

-
[There were strong rumours a couple of months ago that Neil Clement, son of the late,truly great, Dave Clement, would be joining QPR. But apparently not.]
[At Gillingham, Cullip links up with ex-QPRs Royce, Miller, Brown, Oli and Griffiths. Lomas having recently been released.]
[Nice little snippet re Dexter Blackstock, off the field]

Gillingham Official Site -Cullip: "I can help the club out of its current position."
New Gillingham defender Danny Cullip is delighted to agree a deal with the club until the end of the season.

Cullip, who will wear the number four shirt, goes into the squad for Saturday's match against HuddersfieldTown at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium and is pleased to be at the club: "I've joined the club on non-contract terms until the end of the season. I want to get some games and hopefully I can help the club out of its current position. The move came about through somebody Mark Stimson knows at Queens Park Rangers. The Gaffer knew I had become available so he invited me down here to come and train with the team. He could have a look at me, I could have a look at Gillingham and it has gone on from there."
Cullip, who has played against the Gills many times over the years, admits he is a vocal, no nonsense centre-half: "I'm quite vocal and I like to organise people around me. Like most centre-halves, I am no nonsense and try to get the job done. I like to get into the faces of the opposition centre-forwards and make it an uncomfortable 90 minutes. I take everything as it comes.I've only just started training with the team and hopefully I can break into the team and help them out."
The Gills are on a run of no win in seven games but Cullip admits he enjoys challenges like the one facing him: "It's a similar situation here as when I signed for QPR. We're down the bottom, it's not a nice place to be but I enjoy these situations when everything is against you, your backs are to the wall and you've got to put the tin helmets on and dig in." Gillingham


WBA - Clem set to join Hull on loan
ALBION have granted Hull permission to field Neil Clement in their reserves game against Darlington tomorrow, with a view to the defender joining the Tigers on loan.
Clement is pencilled in to move to the KC Stadium on a 93-day loan on Monday - two days after the Baggies entertain Hull in the Championship on Saturday (ko 3pm).
Albion will have a 24-hour recall option on Clement after the first 28 days of the loan.
The 29-year-old has been restricted to two senior appearances this term - both in August - due to a long-term knee injury.
Clement, Albion's current longest-serving player, recently got two reserve games under his belt after being sidelined for 13 weeks WBA

Hull - Tigers To Take Clement On Loan
The Tigers have been given permission to field West Brom's Neil Clement in tomorrow's reserve game against Darlington with a view to the defender joining the club on loan.
Clement is pencilled in to move to the KC Stadium on loan for the remainder of the season on Monday - two days after the Tigers visit the Baggies in the Championship. Hull

OXFORD MAIL -Injured Alexis forced to play waiting game
Abingdon United midfielder Michael Alexis has vowed to bounce back from his horrific leg injury which has ruled him out for the rest of the season.
The former Oxford United youngster, 23, who was born and bred in the city, suffered a broken right fibula, as well as a dislocated and broken right ankle after being involved in a challenge with Paulton Rovers defender Ross Casey.
The incident happened 35 minutes into the British Gas Business Southern League Division 1 South & West clash on January 5, which had to be abandoned.
Alexis, who was just two months into his job as a teaching assistant at Wheatley Park School, spent five days in the trauma unit at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford where he underwent surgery to repair the broken bones.
The right-footed player will be in plaster for another two months before he can start the long process of rehabilitation.
He is not expecting to play again for at least six months and has been signed off work until March. The injury also means he is unable to drive his car.
"I got the ball from a throw-in and tried to nick it away and the next thing I know the guy comes in and crunch," said Alexis, who was released as a 20-year-old by the U's.
"I remember hearing a snap. I just thought 'God, I've just broken my leg.' I've never had a major break like this, but knew it was broken because I saw what happened to (Djibril) Cisse at Liverpool.
"I grabbed my leg and it was bent the other way around. I knew it was broken and I saw everyone rush on, the manager, my dad and the physio. I didn't feel any pain at the time.
"I remember being carried off and waving to the crowd.
"Apparently, I told one of the fans that they'd patch me up and I'd be back in five minutes. But I think that was the morphine kicking in.
"The paramedic was going to cut my boot off, but I didn't want them ruined as I had just bought them for £120!"
Alexis, who lives with his parents Benny and Maggie in Risinghurst, and who joined Abingdon from Brackley just under a year ago, added: "The worst pain I felt was when I was getting ready to leave and my calf was really tight. They had to cut it open to relieve the pain and put a new cast on."
He has no bitterness about what happened against Paulton, which came just a couple of days after his birthday.
"I'm philosophical about it," he said. "It's just part of the game.
The challenge wasn't malicious, but I don't think he should have gone in so hard. But that's just one of the risks you take playing football.
"He didn't say anything to me after it happened, but Paulton did send me a card."
"It's going to take six to eight months before I can play again," he admitted.
"I'm not going to rush back - I'm going to take things slowly. But I don't like sitting around. I'm a very active person.
"I've just been watching TV and playing on my computer. I've been trying to read books and have just started reading Roy Keane's autobiography.
Oxford City have offered to help as have my old club, Slough. I've also been in contact with Chris Hackett (the now Millwall winger played in the same U's youth team as Alexis), who's out for a while with a cruciate knee ligament injury. So I'm not going to be on my own.
"Mum and dad have been very supportive as has my girlfriend. The staff at the hospital were really good as well.
"I coach St Edmunds Under 13's in the Oxford Mail Boys' League and their manager Stefan Trevelyn has been great too, while John and Debbie Blackmore at Abingdon United have been excellent.
Alexis, who has also visited the pupils at Wheatley Park and attended their cup final at Oxford City l, has been a regular face in the crowd at Abingdon's home games. But admits it's tough.
"I'm not a good football watcher. There's nothing like playing. I also miss the banter of the changing room and training.
He added: "I'm hoping to be playing again around October-time, but I don't really like to set myself targets.
"I'm going to make sure it's right though. I don't want to come back too early.
"I just want to be back playing again. There is no reason why I can't get back to how I was before.
"Now, it's just a waiting game."
Alexis says he had been overwhelmed by the number of fans who turned up for his benefit match.
Oxford United boss Darren Patterson sent a full-strength line-up to play Abingdon United at Northcourt Road with the proceeds going towards the midfielder's hardship fund.
More than 500 people, including Alexis and members of his family attended the match which finished in a 1-1 draw, the U's new signing Michael Blackwood cancelling out a Ryan Curtin strike.
But many local footballers gave their support to the event, with QPR striker Dexter Blackstock and many other ex-Oxford United players pres
ent.
"It went really well," said Alexis. "I was really shocked by the size of the crowd - taken aback to be honest.
"It was so nice that so many people turned up to support me...."
. Oxford Mail

Blog Archive