QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ex-QPR's Richard Pacquette Makes His Dominica International Debut and Scores

-
AP - International Herald Tribune
ROSEAU, Dominica: Dominica and Barbados walked out of Windsor Park Wednesday night realizing they both could have won instead of settling for in a 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw in their first-round CONCACAF series.
Now, they will have to wait until March 26 in Barbados before they can settle their two-leg series.
Jeffrey Williams scored in the 42nd minute to give Barbados the draw in a rain-drenched encounter.
"We're disappointed," Dominica forward Richard Pacquette said. "It's better than losing."
Barbados had entered the match as overwhelming favorites having won all five previous encounters against Dominica and outscoring it 12-2.
"They have improved a lot," Barbados coach Eyre Sealy said. "I wasn't expecting an easy game.
"I'm a little disappointed we didn't get a win."
The United States will play the winner of this series in June. The Americans will host the first game at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, on June 15. The second leg will be played in the Caribbean the following week.
Pacquette gave the hosts a 1-0 advantage in the 20th minute with a 16-meter shot past goalkeeper Alvin Rose after Shayne Dailey stripped a Barbados player of the ball at midfield. "A clinical finish," Dailey said.
But the visitors equalized, scoring after clearing a Dominica corner kick. Midfielder Rondel Vaugn brought the ball down the left wing before sending a cross to Williams, who slipped it past goalkeeper Glenson Prince from two meters.
Barbados appeared to have taken the lead in the 56th minute off a pretty volley by Jonathan Nurse, but it was voided because it was ruled offside.
"I know it was a goal," Sealy said. "The linesman got it wrong at the time. I'm not knocking him. I would love to see it on a replay."
The field around the center circle was in poor condition as the huge bare spot was dominated by dirt and sand.
"It started to take its toll during the game," Pacquette said. "The legs started to get heavy because it was in the middle of the park."
Barbados captain and midfielder Norman Ford agreed.
"The pitch played a major role in the game," he said. "They'll come to Barbados and play on a proper pitch."
But Barbados' national soccer stadium is being repaired, so the game probably will be held at another cricket ground.
Dominica coach Ericson Christopher was looking forward to the return match.
"We tend to play better overseas," he said. "We are more relaxed than playing in front of our crowd."
___
Lineups:
DOMINICA: Glenson Prince, Colin Bernard (Macaza White, 84), Wayne Phillip, Paul Victor (Prince Austrie, 61), Delbert Daley, Shayne Dailey, Ryan Edgar, Joel Ettienne Clark, Daniel Francis (Lenanard Remy, 73), Sham Addi John, Richard Pacquette.
BARBADOS: Alvin Rose, Brian Neblett, Dyson James, Romelle Braithwaite, Johnathan Straker, Rondell Vaugn (Rivierre Williams, 70), Norman Ford, Jeffrey Williams, Elvis DeFraitas, Johnathan Nurse, Neil Harvey. IHT

See Also: Pacquette recently profiled in The Sun
The Sun - Jan 25 2008 It's Pacquette versus on a packet By GARY PAYNE

HAVANT hero Richard Pacquette is hoping to earn a packet by knocking Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

But the Hawks striker insists he would not throw his cash around on flash cars and bling like some stars in the big league.

Instead, he would use the money to help his community.

Pacquette and his team-mates have been promised a £250,000 bonus, around £10,000 each, by sponsors Blue Square if they cause the biggest shock ever at Anfield in the fourth round tomorrow.

The former QPR ace, who works as a truancy officer at John Kelly Technology College in North West London, thinks pros have it easy.

Pacquette said: “Footballers get paid unbelievable money. Wages have gone through the roof.

“I used to be a pro but now I’m working for a living, you realise just how lucky those guys are and appreciate the value of money.

Fancy cars
"They don’t have to get up and graft from nine to five. So it’s been a wake-up call, that’s for sure.

“Steven Gerrard gets £90,000 a week. It would take me five years to earn that.

“If I got paid that kind of money, I wouldn’t throw it away like some players do on watches, clothes and fancy cars.

“It annoys me but if that was me, I would still remember where I’ve come from. I would still live in the same area and probably live in the same house.

“I’d use some of that money to help the community. I’ve seen how kids look up to footballers as role models and, if we all put something back, then maybe there wouldn’t be such problems in society.”

Pacquette, 24, helped set up non-league Havant and Waterlooville’s fairytale trip to Liverpool with a goal in their 4-2 third-round replay win over Swansea.

But it was not that long ago when the hitman was dreaming of mixing it with football’s elite every day.

He explained: “I started as a trainee at QPR and played alongside Gavin Peacock, Chris Kiwomya and Peter Crouch.

“I even played in the League One play-off final when we lost to Cardiff in 2003.

“I got Player of the Year at Rangers that season and things seemed to be going well. But the following season I didn’t start so well and spent time on loan at various clubs — none of which were successful.

“As a kid I dreamed of being a pro, then suddenly found myself out of the League not knowing how I was going to earn a living. I was at Rangers with Crouchie, yet he’s now earning millions at Liverpool and I’m busting my gut to survive.

“Life is full of what ifs and regrets but you just have to keep working hard.

“I found it so difficult coming out of football. I’d never done a day’s work in my life and I had no qualifications.

“I enjoy working with the kids, though. I get a real buzz out of helping them because the area I work in has a lot of street crime and some kids find it very easy to get involved in crime or drugs.

“If you can help them get interested in a sport like football, it helps keep them out of trouble. If my story inspires them to work hard, then great.”

Pacquette would happily quit the day job and playing in the Blue Square South for a return to the big-time. And he could line up for Dominica in a World Cup qualifier against Barbados next month.

He added: “I’m dying to get back into the Football League, I’m hungry for success and hopefully this cup run will be my launching pad back to being a pro.

“My mum and dad both come from Dominica and their FA recently asked Havant for permission for me to play for them. It’s up to the club but it would be unbelievable to play international football.” The Sun
Wikipedia/Pacquette Profile

Blog Archive