QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ireland Not Playing at Loftus Road...Sinclair Joins Charlton...Balanta Praised....Shittu Coaching Youngsters...Moore's New Club

-
BBC - Republic arrange Colombia clash
"The Republic of Ireland will face Colombia in a friendly on 29 May at Craven Cottage. The match will be Giovanni Trapattoni's second game in charge of the Republic and will follow the 24 May friendly against Serbia at Croke Park..." BBC

Charlton Official Site - Sinclair signs up
Exciting attacker Scott Sinclair is hoping to dazzle the Valley faithful after clinching a loan deal from Chelsea for the rest of the season on Thursday.
The Addicks have beaten off some fierce competition to land the teenage winger, who has moved across the capital on a three-month deal that encompasses the end-of-season Championship play-offs - if required.
"I'm really excited to be here,” said Scott, who goes straight into the squad for Saturday's Championship trip to Sheffield United.
"I've come here to get more experience, and I want to keep playing and get some goals for the club.
"There were a few clubs in for me, but I thought Charlton would be the right one for me and I'm sure I've made the right choice.”
Sinclair, who turns 19 on March 25th, has made six appearances for Chelsea this season after appearing in the curtain-raising Community Shield against Manchester United at Wembley in August.
He played a big part in the Blues' march to the Carling Cup final, netting in a 4-0 win at Hull City in an earlier round.
Sinclair's last appearance for the Stamford Bridge side came in the FA Cup against Huddersfield Town on February 16th, and he has also played in the Premier League this term.
The Valley will mark a third home for the speedy flanker in 2007/08, after a loan spell with Queens Park Rangers at the end of last year.
"When I was at Queens Park Rangers the team was struggling against relegation, so this will be a totally different experience for me because Charlton are fighting for promotion,” added Scott, who is a product of the Bristol Rovers youth system.

"I want to get some more games on board and then I can hopefully return to Chelsea in the summer after helping Charlton go up.”....
Previous boss Ian Holloway was keen to link up with Sinclair again at Leicester City, but Sinclair plumped instead for a move from West to South-East London.
"Hopefully, I can bring what I've got to the team and add to what I've got,” he continued.
"I can play on both wings, and although I'm naturally a left-sider, I can play on the right as well and behind the strikers.
"I've come here to score goals and win games, and I'm sure playing at this level before will stand me in good stead.”
Although not in the Chelsea squad for Sunday's Carling Cup defeat to Tottenham Hotspur, Sinclair was at Wembley to watch his side suffer defeat in extra-time, and the sparkling facility may well play a part in his spell as an Addick should the club contest the play-offs in May.
"I played there in the Community Shield and it's a great stadium to play at,” said Sinclair, who has represented England at U17, U18 and U19 level.
"I've had a few starts for Chelsea, but it's been frustrating trying to break though there, with all the good players they have.
"That's why I've chosen to come to Charlton. It's a club that seems like it is ready for the Premier League and I think with the squad that we have got we can definitely reach it.” Charlton


QPR Official Site - BROWN HAILS BALANTA'S IMPACT
R's Youth Team Manager Steve Brown has described Angelo Balanta's impact on the First Team stage as 'simply sensational.'
The 17 year-old, who has five appearances to his name already this season, opened his goal-scoring account for the R's against Sheffield United last weekend. And now Brown is tipping the teenager to rise to the very top.
"He's got so much natural ability, it's frightening," Brown told www.qpr.co.uk.
"He's the most natural player I've worked with and this is a great Club for him to ply his trade."
Brown added: "He played for me in the 18's in a front-three and he just has this unique ability to be able to drift into the box at the right time - he got his rewards for a similar type of run against Sheffield United last weekend.
"He gets himself in great positions and for that reason alone, he'll score goals in this division.
"He can hurt people, because once he's got the ball at his feet he's absolutely devastating.
"Without wanting to put any pressure on him, I'm convinced there is still much more to come from Angelo."
Brown is adamant the Colombian youngster won't be the last academy scholar off the Hoops production line either, adding: "There's another four or five like him, in that they have the potential to break into the First Team.
"He's raised the bar now though and the challenge for the rest of our youngsters is to join him in the coming years." QPR

Mail - Watford's Shittu teaches East End kids to walk on the right side
Dan Shittu cuts an intimidating figure and it is little wonder that opponents approach the Watford defender with a degree of trepidation.
In one of London's most troubled areas, a legion of youngsters see Shittu differently. To them he is a gentle giant with a heart of gold, who is helping them improve their lives.
"When you pick up the papers all you seem to read is bad things about footballers," says the 27-year-old.
Shittu forgets own-goal horror to rescue Watford
Watford lose their shine
"I know from my own upbringing how important it is to have good role models, and that's what I want to be."
Shittu has come a long way from the Burdett Estate in Bow where his mother Camilla brought up her family of seven children.
From being a park player he became a fans' favourite at Queens Park Rangers before Aidy Boothroyd brought him to Watford in 2006, and he is now a Nigeria international.
Yet every Tuesday, when he doesn't have a match, Shittu returns to his roots and the Eastside Youth Academy he has established in Stepney Green.
The place has become a breeding ground for talent, with more than 20 lads going on to join professional clubs.
Now the academy is also promoting "Your Game", an initiative involving the BBC and the Football Foundation which was being relaunched today to embrace streetdance and music. Shittu is fully committed to the scheme.
"It's not about me just showing my face," he said. "I train the kids, sometimes I have to shout at them, sometimes I'm a shoulder to lean on.
"And it's not just about the kids coming to play football then hitting the streets. We tell them it is as important what you do outside football as what you do inside football.
"We tell them it is better to be known as a good person rather than a guy who is a good footballer but a bad person." Mail



Express and Star - Walsall boss in striker hint
Walsall manager Richard Money has hinted that they may try thrash out a deal for striker Stefan Moore.
The former Villa man has been with the Saddlers for a week and Money revealed that he has been impressed with what he’s seen so far and that he hopes to see off competition from other interested parties to snap him up.
“We are in discussion with him and hopefully we can maybe do something,” Money said.
“I for one like him and I think we might just get him at the right time in his career.
“I know he’s had an offer to got to Australia, which he doesn’t really want to do.
“I think there are one or two clubs who would be interested in taking him, but the advantage that we have is that he’s Birmingham based and he’d like to come back to the area.”
The 24-year-old has struggled since leaving Villa, but Money believes that this is partly due to being played out of position.
“He’s gone into League football at one or two clubs and I’ve had a long chat with Stefan about this – they haven’t played him in the right way.
“He’s played wide right, or in the right of three up front – he’s hardly played down the middle.” Express and Star

Blog Archive