QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Agyemang on His Scoring Streak - Best Since Rodney Marsh More Than 40 Years Ago

-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times
Pat's purple patch is best since '67


SUCCESS was just around the corner last time QPR had a player finding the net as frequently as Patrick Agyemang.
The Rangers hotshot has scored in each of his first six starts since moving to Loftus Road from Preston at the beginning of January.
Agyemang's incredible run of goalscoring form has not been matched since the 1966-67 season, when the legendary Rodney Marsh scored in six consecutive games.
Rangers, of course, went on to win the Division Three title and League Cup that season, heralding a period that saw the club elevated to the top flight and within a whisker of becoming League champions.
And Agyemang, who has spent virtually all his career at Championship level with Wimbledon, Gillingham and Preston, believes he has finally found his niche at the age of 27.
He told the Times: "I don't really look at stats and it doesn't bother me about records - my aim's just been to play well and get as many goals as possible.
"At the moment this is definitely the best spell of my career in terms of goals. When I was at Preston I scored about five in seven, I think, but nothing like I've done at QPR.
"Sometimes in the past I felt unappreciated because I was being played in different roles. I always felt I'd not really had the chance to show my ability, concentrating on what I can do.
"At QPR they've utilised my pace - they're looking for me to get in behind the defence more often and I'm where I want to be on the pitch. Basically this is the way I always wanted to play."
After making his QPR debut as a substitute in their FA Cup third round defeat at Chelsea, Agyemang started against Sheffield United and scored the opener in a 2-1 reverse.
Since then he has been looking unstoppable, with single strikes against Barnsley, Cardiff City and Burnley, as well as doubles in Rangers' victories over Bristol City and Southampton.
But the London-born Ghanaian international insists that credit for those successes must be shared with his QPR team-mates, particularly forward partner Rowan Vine.
"Rowan's great at running at players - with or without the ball. We're linking up really well in training and he's made quite a few of my goals," said Agyemang.
"Although I'm the one that's scored the majority of the goals, it's down to the way the team has been playing and working hard - that's why I'm getting a lot of chances."
If he scores in the return games against Sheffield United and Barnsley this week, Agyemang will equal the club record held by Brian Bedford, who netted in eight games in a row 46 years ago.
Bedford scored 12 goals during that period, including a hat-trick against Coventry but, despite his haul of 39 for the season, Rangers missed out on promotion to Division Two by just three points.
Marsh's scoring sequence during the 1966-67 season was identical to that of Agyemang - eight in six games - and, like Bedford, included a hat-trick, away to Mansfield. Kilburn Times

Blog Archive