QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Former QPR, Nick Ward Extends Australian Stay

-
MELBOURNE VICTORY Ward on board for 12 more Months
Melbourne Victory today confirmed that it has extended the contract of exciting youngster Nick Ward for 12 months, securing the attacking midfielder for the Hyundai A-League 2008/09 season.
Ward, 22, was recruited to Victory from English side Queens Park Rangers in December last year and made an immediate impact in his five matches, scoring his first goal against Wellington Phoenix in Round 20.
Ward, who was part of the Qantas Socceroos squad that defeated Bahrain in January 2006, is in contention to represent Australia at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and will feature in Victory’s AFC Champions League 2008 campaign.
While recent groin surgery has sidelined Ward from the Qantas Under 23s upcoming match against Mexico, he is expected to be available for Victory’s historic first AFC Champions League match against the Chunnam Dragons on Wednesday, 12 March.
“Nick’s been a fantastic addition to our squad and we’re delighted to sign him for a further 12 months,” Victory Football Operations Manager Gary Cole said.
“He’s an exciting box to box midfielder that plays with great energy and enthusiasm and loves to score goals.
“He’s progressing really well since his groin surgery and we’re looking forward to seeing him in action in the AFC Champions League and the Hyundai A-League.”
Ward added his head is more stable after signing for another year, allowing him to focus on his football heading into the AFC Champions League 2008 and the Olympic Games.
“I like Melbourne, it’s a beautiful city and I feel at home here,” Ward said.
“It should be good for me to get games under my belt and to carry on from the AFC Champions League into the Hyundai A-League, which will be good for my groin as well.
“All the physios and Adam Basil, our Strength and Conditioning Coach, have been amazed with my progress.
“I’m ahead of schedule and I should be joining in training a little bit tomorrow, so hopefully that goes well and then I’ll be on my way to play at Telstra Dome on March 12.”
Victory will host Korea Republic’s Chunnam in its opening AFC Champions League 2008 match at Telstra Dome on Wednesday, 12 March (kick off 7:30pm).
Tickets are available from any Ticketmaster outlet, by calling 136 100 or through ticketmaster.com.au. Melbourne Victory


Sportal/Australia - Victory stitch up key signings
Melbourne Victory have announced two major signings, with Tom Pondeljak to return to his hometown and Nick Ward committing for a further 12 months.
Pondeljak, who came off the bench for the Central Coast Mariners as they lost Sunday's Hyundai A-League Grand Final, has signed with the 2006-07 champions for the next two seasons....
Ward, meanwhile, has put pen to paper to commit himself to the Victory until the end of the 2008-09 season, with his next 12 months to include the Champions League campaign and possibly also the Beijing Olympics.
"I like Melbourne, it's a beautiful city and I feel at home here," said 22-year-old Ward, who joined the Victory from Queens Park Rangers in December and played five matches before recently undergoing groin surgery.
"It should be good for me to get games under my belt and to carry on from the AFC Champions League into the Hyundai A-League, which will be good for my groin as well."
"I'm ahead of schedule and I should be joining in training a little bit tomorrow (Thursday), so hopefully that goes well and then I'll be on my way to play at Telstra Dome on March 12 (against Chunnam Dragons)," added the former Perth sta
r. News

Blog Archive