QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, May 09, 2008

QPR Reportedly Signing Non-League Defender

-
Chichester Observer - Joe Oastler - Joe is so grateful to the Rocks

Joe Oastler has thanked Bognor's management and fans for helping him on the road to football stardom.

Oastler is the teenage defender who impressed during three appearances for the Rocks in their successful bid to avoid relegation.

He got his chance at Nyewood Lane after being released by hometown club Pompey.

Now he is to sign a contract with Championship side QPR and link up with Glenn Hoddle's football academy in Spain.

And he says the confidence he gained at Bognor – and from a good write-up in the Observer – were crucial in helping him make that step.

Oastler started at Pompey's advanced training centre aged eight and joined their centre of excellence a year later, where he stayed until he was 16.

Then he started a two-year apprenticeship, playing regularly in the academy team and the reserves – but in March he was devastated to be told Pompey didn't want him.

Oastler said: "I was shocked because throughout my apprenticeship, I'd been told I was doing really well."

Shaun North, an ex-youth boss at Pompey, put Oastler's family in touch with the Rocks, who needed defensive cover in their relegation fight.

He joined – and went straight into the side for a crucial game against Weston, which he helped them win 2-0.

"At the time all I wanted to do was play football and keep fit ready for the premier exit trials.

"It was a really good move, because I had a really good game against Weston and the Bognor crowd gave me a standing ovation. It really lifted my confidence.

At the premier exit trials, for youngsters released by top-flight clubs, ex-England boss Hoddle was present and asked Oastler to attend his academy in Spain.

"Two days later, I answered the phone and someone said 'Hello Joe, it's Glenn'. I said 'Glenn who?' He said 'Glenn Hoddle' and I said 'Don't wind me up' – I thought it was my mate having a laugh. But it was him."

Next day, Oastler learned a number of clubs were interested in him. QPR were first to arrange a trial. He played for their reserves and was offered a pro contract.

Joe said: "When I look at how well I must have played at the exit trials, Bognor and Shaun North contributed.

"They helped raise my confidence at a time when it was low. Everyone at Bognor was brilliant, particularly Michael Birmingham who took a risk and put me into an important game. He believed in me and I'll always be grateful.

"Bognor are a fantastic club, really passionate and deserve success. I'd certainly go back there later in my career." Chichester

Blog Archive