QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Ex-QPR's Matthew Rose Rejects USA Move

-
ROSE TURNS BACK ON MOVE TO AMERICA - Western Daily Press/CHRIS SPITTLES 05 July 2007
"Matthew Rose agreed a new deal with Yeovil Town yesterday .... But he spent the summer mulling over a move to the Major League Soccer in America ...
Rose played with Steve Morrow at both Arsenal and QPR, and with the Irishman now manager of Dallas FC, a move to the States was a possibility. But after being part of the Glovers squad that came so close to promotion to the Championship at Wembley in May, Rose decided to stay in England.
"I did think about going abroad because I am coming to the later stages of my career," said the 31-year-old. "And it is still something I would like to do at a later date.
"I know Steve Morrow really well, having played with him at two clubs, and I did speak to him about playing in America.
"It's as much about my kids as me because I think it would be a good life experience for them to live out there for a bit.
"But in the end I decided that I wanted to stay in England, especially after experiencing Wembley with Yeovil in May.
"I wouldn't have got that in America and hopefully there is still time for me to go out there, but for now I want to be with Yeovil.
"Having come so close to promotion last season, we all really want to make it happen this time and I want to be a part of that."
Rose was entitled to a new contract as part of the short-term deal he signed last season after making a certain number of appearances.
But he added: "I knew that the contract was there for me if I wanted it.
"But I wouldn't have stayed if the gaffer didn't want me. I needed to know that I was a part of his plans and fortunately he confirmed that I was, which was nice to hear."
Town boss Russell Slade was keen to retain Rose for his versatility, which has seen him play at right-back, left-back, centre-back and in midfield during his career.
And Rose is happy to fill whichever role he is needed to perform, although he would rather establish himself in one position.
"I think that my versatility has counted against me at various times in my career, because I've been switched around and never really settled," said the former Arsenal trainee. Western Daily Press

Blog Archive