QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

QPR Snippets: Game Online?...Bhatia Hears About Clubs/Fans Relations.....Paul Parker Cautions Manchester United

-
- Also: Supposedly one will be able to watch the Man Ut- QPR game Live.....Amit Bhatia was in the audience to hear about Football Clubs relations with Football Fans -- and from Bolivia: Video of Players versus Riot Police...And the QPR Official Site on QPR Fans already in Manchester for the game.


Manchester Evening News/Stuart Mathieson - Beware curse of QPR - Parker
NEW Year's day 1992 still sends a shiver down Paul Parker's spine and serves as a warning to United's Carling Cup ambitions tonight at Old Trafford.
The England right back had been a Red for just six months following a move from Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 1991 when his former Loftus Road colleagues came north.
A Dennis Bailey hat trick in the 4-1 win constituted one of the bleakest days in Sir Alex Ferguson's United managerial career.
Now the championship team are coming back to Old Trafford for the Carling Cup fourth round and Parker says there is no reason why shock might not be on the cards.
"It was soul-destroying for me in 92," he said. "The QPR fans taunted me with `You should never have left Rangers' songs," he told M.E.N. Sport. "It was difficult to lose to a club I loved so much. It was so soon after my move all the side were still my ex-team mates and friends. It was terrible for me.
"Stories came out after that we'd lost because we'd been on the booze the night before. I wish we could have used that excuse!
"That was absolutely disrespectful to QPR. There were no excuses. We didn't perform.
"Obviously United and Rangers were in the same division then but I still think if United are not tuned in fully this evening then QPR are capable of an upset again.
"They beat Aston Villa 1-0 at Villa Park in the last round and are more than capable of doing it again.
"They are a decent championship side who haven't really got going yet but that Villa result proves what they can really do. I know it is a cliché but you can imagine their manager Gareth Ainsworth saying that doing well at Old Trafford could kickstart their challenge. That's what they will be looking for."
Talent
After last season's shock home League Cup KO against Coventry for the Reds' kids Sir Alex Ferguson added an experienced spine to the XI who beat Middlesbrough in round three in September.
Once again the United manager is expected to add some senior names to his line up to supplement the emerging talents, while Rafael is likely to be given a place following his impressive display against Arsenal.
"United do have some good young players coming through, but it is all about how those players approach matches like this," Paul added. "When you get your chance obviously you want to show everyone what you are capable of.
"The trouble is you can ruin it for yourself going into a game obsessed about wanting to prove a point. It is easy for me to say it now I have had years in the game.
"But it is difficult to think that way when you are a teenager and want to impress Fergie.
"The best thing is to do what you are good at and don't do anymore. When you are desperate to impress there is a danger you start to do things that are not natural to you.
"That is possibly what happened against Coventry last year. There were so many kids wanting to make a point.
"It is all so different from reserve matches. That doesn't prepare you for a championship side going full throttle.
"Bad players become average and average players become good players when they play against United.
"It is something everyone has to get used to at Old Trafford."
Manchester Evening News


Manchester United Site - Blog: Nightmare against QPR
Former United defender Paul Parker joined the Reds from Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 1991. Six months later he endured a nightmare against the club he'd left, losing 4-1 to them at Old Trafford...
I’d really enjoyed my time at Queens Park Rangers, but I was very ambitious, which led to me leaving for United in 1991.
To be honest, I didn’t think United would be all that different – I was at a big London club, and we were doing really well at the time. But when I got to Old Trafford, I realised how much bigger United was. It was the little things you noticed at first – just that there were so many more staff working there, the sheer scale.
I got some stick from QPR supporters, and when I went back there initially, I got a hostile reception. But the fans eventually realised that I’d always given my best for QPR and was a fan of the club. They treat me well now. But not long after I'd joined United, QPR caused a real upset on New Year's Day 1992. They won 4-1, with Dennis Bailey scoring a hat-trick. I got some stick for that.
I remember after the game that Dennis wanted to get the ball signed. He asked me if I could sort it out as we were leaving the pitch.
I told him it wasn’t a good idea, but he still came into the United changing room, handed the ball to Steve Bruce and asked him to sign it. Bruce lobbed the ball out of the door and told Dennis where to go, using some colourful language! Steve didn’t like losing
. But we were out-passed and outplayed that day.
Read an exclusive interview with Paul Parker in tonight's match programme.
The views expressed in this blog are personal to the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United FC. Report [For additional material and views, Visit the QPR Report Messageboard]

Blog Archive