QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sousa: Not Demanding Instant Promotion...Sousa's in Sole Charge of the Team

-
Sky: Sousa - No promotion pressure
New QPR boss looking to make his mark


Paulo Sousa has told Sky Sports News he is under no pressure to secure promotion at Queens Park Rangers this season.

Former Portugal international Sousa has been appointed as QPR's new manager following last month's sacking of Iain Dowie.

Sousa has been working with the Portugal national team and the Loftus Road position is his first job in club football.

He is looking forward to managing the Championship side and says chairman Flavio Briatore has not demanded immediate promotion to the Premier League.

Solid
"No, he doesn't tell me anything about that," Sousa told Sky Sports News when asked if his target is to secure top-flight football this term.
"He doesn't put pressure on me, not for this season and not for next season.
"The project is to be solid because when you go into the Premier League you have to be so solid so you can remain in the Premier League. This is the most important."

The ex-Benfica and Juventus midfielder also insists he has control over team affairs amid rumours that Briatore has previously had a hand in picking the team.
He added: "I'm in charge. I have all the respect for everyone, but I have free ideas and free decisions."

Sousa is also hoping he can eventually clinch Premier League football for QPR in order to come up against Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari after the pair worked together with Portugal.
"I will fight for that," he continued. "If I win more than the others I will be in the Premier League and I will play against him.
"Of course I want to be at that level, but I know the reality. Dreaming is good and I like to dream - Sky

Blog Archive