QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

QPR's Charlton Victory - Reports and Managerial Comments

QPR beat Charlton 2-1 (Blackstock 2 goals)before a crowd of just over 12,000 and are just a point outside the playoff spot - Updated Table. -

Paulo Sousa failed to hide his delight, as Dexter Blackstock's brace fired Rangers up to tenth in the Championship table - and just a point off the play-off's.
Blackstock scored either side of a Therry Racon goal, as the R's bounced back from Saturday's disappointing defeat to Watford with a valuable victory over their London rivals.
Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, Sousa said: "The players gave me everything - and for that I am very proud.
- "It was a very important win for us, especially after our bad performance against Watford on Saturday.
"My team, my players showed a mental change tonight. They kept going and turned a negative in to a positive.
"I think Charlton Athletic did very well and I said to Gareth (Ainsworth) how surprised I am about their league position.
"The players took my ideas on board tonight though and they believed in me and I am very proud of them.
"It's a lot easier to achieve when you believe in your own ability and we showed that tonight." QPR

Paulo Sousa was a "proud" man after a Dexter Blackstock brace secured him his first win as QPR boss against Charlton at Loftus Road.
The former Portugal midfielder could have been forgiven for wondering what he had let himself in for as he watched his new side lose 3-0 at Watford on Saturday.
But Rangers bounced back courtesy of Blackstock's eighth and ninth goals of the season to end a run of three straight defeats with a 2-1 win that leaves Charlton in the relegation zone.
"It's not very easy when a team loses 3-0 and to change mentally you have to be very strong," said Sousa.
"I don't understand why Charlton are in the position they are in because they have great players and play very well.
"So I am proud of my players because they are working very hard with a lot of changes. They are accepting my ideas and they believe in me."
Sousa, the sixth man in charge of Rangers in little over a year, received warm applause when he was introduced before kick-off, although Loftus Road's lowest league crowd of the season turned out to greet the new boss.
He was punching the air in delight after 17 minutes of his first home game when Damiano Tommasi ambled down the left wing and crossed for Blackstock to slot past Nicky Weaver.
Therry Racon's first goal in English football looked to have secured the beleaguered Addicks a point when he tucked away Hamuer Boazza's cross on the half-hour.
Linvoy Primus and Mark Hudson went close to giving Charlton the lead, but it was Blackstock who had the last word when he headed in Hogan Ephraim's cross with 10 minutes remaining.
Defeat was hard to swallow for Charlton's caretaker boss Phil Parkinson, at the helm following Alan Pardew's departure on Saturday.
The Addicks are now without a win in nine games, although they showed a vast improvement from the 5-2 home mauling by Sheffield United which finally did for Pardew.
"I'm disappointed with the result, but I asked for a reaction and I got it," said Parkinson.
"But when you are at the bottom things don't go for you. Everything we asked of them they did and I am so disappointed for them.
"They are as honest a bunch of players as I have ever known in football and they are hurting.
"It was a night when their striker had two chances and he put them both in - you have to make them count - and we had chances but did not put them in, and that was the difference."
Parkinson, a former manager himself with Colchester and Hull, will be in line for the permanent role if he can drag Charlton clear of the drop zone.
But he added: "I'm not saying anything about that. I was just focused on tonight, and then on training and on our game with Southampton on Saturday." Sporting Life

SPORTING LIFE - By Andy Sims, PA Sport
Dexter Blackstock struck twice as Paulo Sousa got off the mark as QPR boss and left managerless Charlton marooned in the bottom three of the Coca-Cola Championship.
Therry Racon's first goal in English football looked to have secured the beleaguered Addicks a point when he cancelled out Blackstock's opener.
But the Rangers striker grabbed his ninth goal of the season 10 minutes from full-time to condemn Charlton to another defeat.
Sousa, the sixth man in charge of Rangers in little over a year, received warm applause when he was introduced before kick-off, although Loftus Road's lowest league crowd of the season turned out to greet their new boss.
The ex-Portugal playmaker endured a chastening 3-0 defeat in his opening match in charge at Watford on Saturday, but he was punching the air in delight after 17 minutes of his first home game when Damiano Tommasi ambled down the left wing and crossed for Blackstock to slot past Nicky Weaver.
Charlton caretaker boss Phil Parkinson, at the helm following Saturday's departure of Alan Pardew, handed a debut to veteran Northern Ireland winger Keith Gillespie following his loan move from Sheffield United.
It was the 5-2 home defeat by the Blades which spelt the end for Alan Pardew, and Charlton are now without a win in nine matches and staring at a relegation battle.
Gillespie and teenage Sunderland loanee Martyn Waghorn were at least lively additions to the side, and the latter got their first sight of goal with an angled drive which flew into the side-netting.
Gillespie then sent in a low shot which Radek Cerny comfortably dealt with, before Charlton drew level on the half-hour.
Racon played the ball out to Hamuer Bouazza on the left, and although the winger's initial touch let him down he recovered to ping in a low cross.
Cerny and the Rangers rearguard hesitated to allow Racon, on his return to the side following a broken metatarsal, to sidefoot the equaliser into an empty net.
Waghorn was denied a goal shortly after the break when he latched onto Bouazza's cut-back only for Damien Delaney to whip the ball off his foot with a last-ditch challenge.
Linvoy Primus hit the roof of the net with a volley while, for Rangers, Blackstock headed wide and Patrick Agyemang blazed over.
Charlton captain Mark Hudson should have hit the target but his header from Gillespie's cross flew wide.
And moments later Blackstock stole the points when he headed Hogan Ephraim's deep cross past Weaver. Sporting Life

QPR Official Site
Dexter Blackstock struck twice in either half to hand new QPR Manager Paulo Sousa a first win in his first match at Loftus Road.
The ex-Southampton marksman smashed home the match's opener on 17 minutes after good work from Damiano Tommasi, before Therry Racon brought the scores level, thundering home from close range after a fine Charlton move.

But Blackstock lifted the roof off Loftus Road in the 79th minute as he rose majestically to head over a despairing Nicky Weaver to give Sousa a first win, and Rangers a vital three points.

New Manager Sousa picked a changed line-up for the visit of the Addicks as Samuel Di Carmine replaced Patrick Agyemang in attack, Daniel Parejo added creativity to the midfield and Kaspars Gorkss replaced the suspended Fitz Hall.

With a multitude of injuries and suspensions, youngster Joe Oastler made the step up from the Reserves to take up a seat on the bench.

The visitor's handed a debut to new loan signing Keith Gillespie whilst there were also starts for ex-Rangers loanee Martin Cranie, fellow loan-man Martin Waghorn and midfielder Racon.

A noisy home crowd had to wait only ten minutes for the games first decent effort. Mikele Leigertwood picked up the ball from Peter Ramage's inside pass and, failing to see any other option, lashed a left-footed piledriver wide of the right-hand post.

Rangers did one better with their next attack. Charlton keeper Weaver's punt up field was miss-controlled by Gillespie allowing Tommasi to pick up possession on the left-hand side. The Italian rolled back the years with a burst of pace that took him away from Craine and he delivered a fine cross for Blackstock to tap home and hand the R's an early lead.

Charlton refused to let their heads go down and Radek Cerny smothered a decent effort from Gillespie looking to atone for his earlier misdemeanour.

Gillespie did manage to regain some measure of pride as he inspired Charlton's equaliser. Running at Damien Delaney, the on-loan winger fired a low cross that evaded everyone inside the R's box before falling to Hameur Bouazza. The Algerian sent an even better cross in return that a lunging Racon needed no invitation to thump in to bring the Addicks level.

Minutes before half-time, Tommasi tried the spectacular with a long range drive from fully 35-yards but, with Weaver back-pedalling, the ball was always rising a sailed over the bar.

Sousa tinkered at half-time, replacing Di Carmine with Agyemang to give his forward line an injection of pace.

But it was the Addicks who nearly stole the lead. Bouazza used his pace and deftness to evade Ramage and tear into the R's box. His cutback was perfect for the unmarked Waghorn but before the striker could pull the trigger, in lunged Delaney to execute a perfect tackle to clear the danger.

The visitors threatened again minutes later when, from Bouazza's free-kick, Linvoy Primus volleyed marginally over when the ball fell kindly for him in the area.

Back came Rangers and Parejo's through-ball found Agyemang but the Ghanaian hit-man could not make sufficient contact.

Unperturbed, the substitute tried again. On the edge of the area, he picked up possession, jinked clear of Primus and thundered an effort high over Weaver's bar.

New gaffer Sousa made a second change just past the hour mark, as Gavin Mahon replaced the tiring Tommasi.

The tide turned after the change, with the Addicks once again threatening through Bouazza. First the ex-Hornet robbed Hogan Ephraim 25-yards out and tried to curl a shot around Cerny and then crossed for Varney to chest into the path of Andy Gray.

The forward teed up Racon but when his shot struck a defender it fell perfectly for the recently introduced Luke Varney. From six-yards out, and with only Cerny to beat, the Addicks number 12 only succeeded in blazing his half-volley well over, to the derision of the R's fans.

Sousa played the last card in his hand, swapping the industrious Parejo for equally-gifted Argentine Emmanuel Ledesma.

Charlton were sensing they had the upper hand and Gray saw a header bounce agonisingly wide.

However, it was the R's who regained the lead through Blackstock's second of the game. When Agyemang found Leigertwood in the centre of the park, the midfielder sprayed a pass out to the right for Ephraim.

The youngster controlled, took aim and delivered a beautiful cross met equally well by Blackstock leaping like a salmon to loop a perfect header beyond Weaver to send the R's fans delirious.

The same two combined again seconds after the restart but after Ephraim's pinpoint cross picked out the man on a hat-trick, Blackstock could only touch the ball agonisingly wide.

Agyemang just had time to see a well-struck effort comfortably saved by Weaver before the final whistle blew; handing the R's a well-deserved victory.QPR: Cerny, Delaney, Stewart, Leigertwood, Parejo (Ledesma 73), Blackstock, Gorkss, Ramage, Tommasi (Mahon 61), Di Carmine (Agyemang 46), Ephraim.

Subs: Cole, Oastler.

Scorers: Blackstock (17), (79)

Bookings: Leigertwood (41), Delaney (72

Red Cards:

Charlton Athletic: Weaver, Youga, Hudson, Gray, Gillespie, Racon, Semedo, Cranie (Sam 82), Bouazza, Primus, Waghorn (Varney 62).

Subs: Elliot, Holland, Fortune.

Scorers: Racon (30)

Bookings: Hudson (90)

Red Cards:

Referee: Mr K P Shroud

Attendance: 12, 286 QPR

Charlton Official Site
Blackstock buries Charlton again
More of story 1

Dexter Blackstock was once again the scourge of Charlton as caretaker boss Phil Parkinson suffered an unlucky defeat in his first match at the helm.

The striker, who netted the winner when these sides last met at Loftus Road, struck either side of Therry Racon's first goal in Addicks colours.

With ten minutes remaining the smart money would have been on Charlton taking maximum points from the midweek derby.

But, after Luke Varney spurned a great chance from close range, Blackstock, who had opened the scoring in the 17th minute, headed home what proved to be the winner.

The only consolation for Parkinson, in a committed performance from his side, was a goal from Racon, the Frenchman sliding in to level the scores on the half hour.

angers were far from convincing in their second match under Portuguese legend Paulo Sousa, and it was they who were holding on a little the longer the second half unfolded.

In truth, there was little between the sides before Blackstock opened the scoring after Damiano Tomassi had escaped on the left.

Initial observations suggested the ball might have gone out of play, but play continued and Blackstock was still left all alone to convert crisply.

The impressive Racon, making his comeback from a fractured metatarsal sustained on the second week of the season, charged in to level with his inaugural goal.

After the break Charlton gradually started to get ahead on points with Primus close with a half volley on the turn.

Weaver mopped up at the other end when required but the best chance of a game-changing goal fell to Varney eight minutes after he arrived on the scene.

The ball looped appetisingly in his direction off a home defender but, with just Radek Cerny to beat, the striker volleyed over the bar.

Skipper Mark Hudson also went close for the Addicks as debutant Keith Gillespie's crossing caused no end of problems but then came the late heartbreak as Blackstock rose to power a header home from Hogan Ephraim's cross.

It was a hammer blow to a side already in the dangerzone and the Addicks could not get back off the canvas for a second time.

However, the pride, spirit and application would surely have pleased the new boss, his staff and the travelling faithful and convinced the Addicks that good times are just around the corner.

In terms of team news Charlton caretaker boss Parkinson fielded a much-changed side for the London derby.

Parkinson, in temporary control for the first time since the departure of Alan Pardew on Saturday evening, made four changes from the side that lost 5-2 against Sheffield United.

Most significant was a debut on the right hand side for new loan signing Gillespie, the winger having signed until the end of January from the Blades 24 hours ago.

There was also a recall at right-back for Martin Cranie against the side he played for on loan last season, Martyn Waghorn was in from the start following his encouraging debut from the bench on Saturday, and Racon returned in midfield.

The capture of Gillespie, who had just on minute of domestic action under his belt this season, was the first significant act by the stand-in boss, and he came in for Lloyd Sam out wide.

Cranie got the nod over Yassin Moutaouakil on the right of the rearguard while there was a new look to the midfield as Racon made his first start since fracturing his foot in the second game of the season at Watford.

The Frenchman partnered Jose Semedo in the middle of the park and Hameur Bouazza was aiming to continue a three-game scoring streak from the left of midfield.

Up front Sunderland loanee Waghorn operated just behind top scorer Gray.

Weaver was in goal and the backline was completed by skipper Hudson, Primus and Kelly Youga.

Jonathan Fortune was back on the bench following injury, and he was joined in reserve by Matt Holland, Sam, Luke Varney and Rob Elliot.

The hosts were without the suspended Fitz Hall after his red card at Watford on Saturday.

Kaspars Gorkss came in at the back while Blackstock, who netted the winner here last season, was a notable threat up front.

It was also a first match in charge at Loftus Road for Rangers' new Portuguese first team coach, Sousa following his inauspicious debut at Vicarage Road three days earlier.

But for a speculative effort from Daniel Parejo there was little noteworthy action as the visitors settled nicely in to the evening.

The first serious effort came in the 11th minute when Mikele Leigertwood seized possession and cut to his left before curling a 25-yarder wide.

But the deadlock was broken six minutes later as Blackstock netted again.

Tommasi made good ground on the left touchline and as Cranie hesitated - perhaps suggesting the ball had gone out of play - the Italian had time to look up and send a ball across for the unmarked Blackstock to tuck away.

Waghorn wriggled in to space in the box and fired a shot wide moments later as the visitors attempted to rally and Radek Cerny's gloves were warmed for the first time in the 25th minute as Gillespie took aim from the right.

The keeper got down well to save the winger's shot but was beaten on the half hour as the visitors drew level through Racon.

The midfielder slid in to convert Bouazza's excellent pull-back, the Algerian having initially taken an incredibly heavy touch after the Addicks worked a good opening from the right hand side.

Nonetheless, the cut-back was everything the first touch wasn't, right on the money as Racon emerged among a cluster of players to score.

Suddenly the Frenchman was everywhere, cutting out a dangerous looking pass from the Rangers left and supplying more industry in midfield.

After Primus slipped but somehow managed to get a toe in, Cranie made a brilliant block on Blackstock as he sniffed a second.

At the other end a stabbed cross from Bouazza was just too high for Waghorn in the middle five minutes before the break, the ball skimming off the youngster's head before dropping wide.

Tommasi was well over from range at the end of the half while there was nobody able to apply a decisive touch after an injury time Cranie free-kick in the box caused mild panic amongst Cerny and a defender.

Patrick Agyemang was introduced at the break, for the ineffective Samuel Di Carmine and only a fine block from Damien Delaney stopped Charlton going in front three minutes after the restart.

Bouazza was the architect; bursting in from the left to devastating effect and teeing up Waghorn whose hopes of a first goal in senior football were dashed by Delaney's critical last-ditch block.

Then both sides went close in as many minutes as the hour mark approached.

First Primus was one of two players left alone in the box after a Bouazza free-kick was partially cleared on 54 minutes.

The bug defender spun sharply and rifled a shot on to the roof of the net.

At the other end Hudson, under pressure from Agyemang, breathed a sigh of relief as a Weaver block thudded against him and dropped behind.

Agyemang then wriggled free and shot narrowly over the bar in the 56th minute and the hosts were starting to build up a head of steam.

Primus took one for the team as he blocked a shot from Agyemang before Luke Varney and Gavin Mahon arrived for the hard-working Waghorn and Tommasi in the 63rd minute.

Shortly afterwards Cerny reached up to clutch a sliced clearance from Damion Stewart while Bouazza robbed Hogan Ephraim on 70 minutes and curled a shot narrowly wide.

An even better chance came the way of the visitors a minute later as Bouazza caused more problems on the left.

The ball eventually looped out, off Gray and Semedo's shot from range clattered off a hooped defender only for Varney to fluff his lines and shoot well over the bar.

It was a big chance and the striker was involved in the next incident, having his legs swiped away by Delaney as the defender was booked.

Hudson, having been denied close to the line after a wickedly swerving Gillespie corner, got in to head another cross from the winger wide as the clocks reached 78 minutes.

The natives were restless as Charlton sensed the win.

Instead, it was Rangers who stole the lead out of nowhere ten minutes from time as Blackstock grabbed his second.

Ephraim sent in a fine cross from the right and there was the striker to send a terrific header over Weaver and into the top left corner.

Charlton almost responded straight away as a Racon cross was half cleared yet Youga missed his kick crucially as the ball sat up.

Blackstock dived to head another tempting Ephraim cross wide before Parkinson sent on Sam for Cranie.

Weaver saved from Blackstock as the striker continued on his quest for the match ball and auxiliary striker Hudson was booked late on for a foul on Leigertwood.

Time was against the Addicks, however, as Sousa beat Parkinson to a first win in charge. Charlton

Visit the QPR Report Messageboard

Blog Archive