QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

John Gregory on Strengthening QPR's Squad

-
QPR Official Site - JG'S NUMBERS GAME

John Gregory finds himself playing a numbers game, as he attempts to build a squad capable of improving upon last season's 18th place finish in the Championship.

The Rangers gaffer is prepared to work around the clock over the next few weeks, as he looks to add to the R's playing squad ahead of the new season.

Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, Gregory revealed he is eager to get down to business - although he doesn't expect it to be easy.

"There's a lot of work to be done and I just want to get on with business over the next six weeks or so.

"I don't foresee anything happening in the immediate future, probably more so when we're back in pre-season at the end of June.''

Gregory added: "I've lost, or rather let go, 17 players and although I'm still left with 21, that includes players like Tommy Doherty, Zesh Rehman, Nicky Ward and Sean Thomas who were all out on loan last season.

"There are also probably three of four more within the squad who are unlikely to feature next season, but they're under contract with us, so we will be looking into the possibility of putting them out on loan.''

"I've probably got about 12-14 players that I would consider to be likely to be involved in the starting line-up.

"We can't look at Michael Mancienne and Jimmy Smith at this stage, because the ball is very much in Chelsea's court.

"I've probably got about 12-14 players that I would consider to be likely to be involved in the starting line-up.''

"I don't foresee a decision on those two until two or even three weeks into pre-season, but that is the way we'd want it, because it allows us to get the maximum time with the players in terms of their loan spell.''

Despite highlighting the need to strengthen in the goalkeeping department, Gregory is keen to add to all areas of the squad.

"I'm looking at strengthening all positions,'' he said.

"We've obviously only got one senior goalkeeper on our books in Jake Cole, so that without question is an area I'm looking at.

"(Adam) Bolder and (Danny) Cullip were both free transfers and with the limited budget I have, I'll be looking for players of their ilk yet again.

"It's not going to be easy - we don't have an open chequebook, but I'm quite confident we can improve the playing squad.''

"It's not going to be easy - we don't have an open chequebook, but I'm quite confident we can improve the playing squad.''
QPR Official Site

Blog Archive