QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Players Waiting to Hear...Views of Cole, Paul Jones & Ainsworth

-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - Big question still to be answered

QPR captain Marcus Bignot insists the entire team are fully focused on Sunday's clash with Stoke - even though it could be their swansong.
Bignot is one of several senior Rangers players still waiting to hear whether they will be offered new contracts when their current deals expire this summer.
Marc Bircham, Steve Lomas, Paul Furlong, Marc Nygaard and Mauro Milanese also face an uncertain future as the squad prepare for their final game of the season.
Rs boss John Gregory has already decided on each player's fate and has promised to reveal before the weekend which of them remain in his plans for next season.
"Whether it's my last game for QPR or the start of another 100, it makes no difference - I've always given the same effort," Bignot declared.
"None of us have ever put our personal issues first this season - the team spirit is what has carried us through. But we know it could be the last game for quite a few of us and, if anything, that'll probably make it more special.
"I've experienced relegation from this division with QPR before and I've never been under any illusion about how devastating it would have been if we'd gone down again.
"I look on it as a real achievement to have stayed up this year and, if it's to be the end of my time at this club, I want to go out on a high.
"To have captained the team is something I regard as a real honour and when the gaffer announced it at Hull, I really wanted to repay his confidence in me.
"Unfortunately I got injured in the first 15 minutes - but I hope I've played my part since then."
Gregory has outlined his desire for a 'party atmosphere' at Loftus Road on Sunday and Rangers will be trying to ensure there are no celebrations for their play-off chasing visitors.
Stoke are currently outside the top six on goal difference and will almost certainly need a win to dislodge one of their rivals, but Bignot warns that the Potters will not find that a straightforward task.
He added: "We're disappointed with the Wolves loss and we want to finish well and carry the momentum into next season. Plus there's no love lost between us and Stoke.
"It's our chance to say thank you to the supporters for the whole season - and maybe I can give a rendition of something at the end!"
Whether the 32-year-old full-back has a new contract to sing about is still unclear, but Gregory is more likely to retain his services than those of several others.
The Rangers manager has already told veteran goalkeeper Paul Jones he can leave the club and Simon Royce, currently on loan at Gillingham, will also be seeking pastures new.
Former captain Kevin Gallen, who linked up with Ian Holloway at Plymouth, will also be released, along with midfielder Armel Tchakounte, who never made a first-team appearance for Rangers.
Gregory will also listen to offers for Zesh Rehman and Nick Ward, who have been on loan at Brighton, and midfielder Tommy Doherty, who has spent most of the season with Wycombe Wanderers
. Kilburn Times

Ben Koksy/Kilburn Times - Cole faces up to challenge

JAKE Cole admits he feared his chance might never come after waiting seven months for a taste of first-team football under John Gregory.
The 21-year-old goalkeeper finally made his first senior appearance since Gregory succeeded Gary Waddock as QPR manager, producing a string of fine saves in Saturday's clash with Wolves.
Cole was drafted into the side after Derby recalled Lee Camp from loan last week, having also played second fiddle to both Paul Jones and Simon Royce earlier in the season.
Now the youngster is set for his first league start at Loftus Road in front of a sell-out crowd when the Rs wind down their season against Stoke on Sunday.
He acknowledged: "With all the other keepers involved, there have been a few moments when I wondered if I was going to get a chance.
"I've been at the club for 11 years now and I think I'm at a stage where I need to be playing next season. I hope that's going to happen at QPR, but if not I'd be looking to go out on loan.
"But the manager's made it clear that I'm in his plans, which is good to hear and it was great to get a game in front of a decent crowd at a good stadium.
"That is important to me because I've played a lot of reserve team games and I want to be playing in front of crowds. Hopefully I'll be picked for the Stoke game and there should be a great atmosphere for that one."
Cole's first-team baptism, 18 months ago, was a difficult one as he came on to face a penalty after Royce had been sent off in the closing minutes against Coventry.
With Royce serving a ban, Cole started Rangers' next game, the Boxing Day trip to Brighton, but it proved to be one of their worst performances of the season as they lost 1-0 at the Withdean Stadium.
And he walked into a similar situation earlier this season, deputising for the ill Jones in dismal defeats at Colchester and, in the Carling Cup, Port Vale - results which signalled the end of Waddock's tenure.
Although Cole was on the losing side again at Molineux, his second-half display caught the eye as the Wolves forward line, spearheaded by the dangerous Andy Keogh, threatened to run riot.
The Rangers keeper reflected: "I thought I played well. I had a few saves to make and overall I was happy with my performance, but we still lost, so I can't be too happy.
"We knew Mick McCarthy would give them a talking-to and get them fired up for the second half. They put pressure on us, played good football and we didn't really get going."
Gregory added: "Jake Cole was excellent. Players are the best judges and after the game they all gave him a big hug and a pat on the back. Kilburn Times

Kilburn Times - Jones urges Camp move
QPR'S former first-choice goalkeeper Paul Jones believes the club must do their utmost to bring back Lee Camp as their number one next season.
Camp's form between the posts since he moved to Loftus Road on loan from Derby in February was a major factor in Rangers' escape from relegation.
The 22-year-old keeper was recalled by the Rams after Stephen Bywater was found guilty of improper conduct by the FA and suspended for last Sunday's game at Crystal Palace.
Rangers manager John Gregory has indicated he would like to sign Camp on a permanent basis, although his chances of doing so will be affected by whether Derby succeed in their promotion quest.
The Rams are now resigned to the play-offs following their 2-0 defeat at Selhurst Park.
And Jones, who is leaving Loftus Road at the end of the season, said: "I haven't seen much of Lee in matches, but in training he's certainly shown he's got the ability.
"He isn't the tallest of lads, but he's got a good spring and he commands the area.
"Overall he's a great prospect and if QPR have a chance to sign him, that'd be good news for the club.
"Most clubs in the Championship will need three goalkeepers, either two experienced players and one younger one, or maybe vice-versa."
Camp has another year remaining on his Derby contract, but Rangers can offer him regular first-team football, with Jones and Simon Royce set to be released this summer. Kilburn Times

Kilburn Times - Step on the Gaz
WE'VE all worked really hard at QPR this year, so I'm not feeling guilty about sitting in Spain and soaking up the sun right now.
Obviously it's a bit early for holidays, but the physio told me I should take some time off now as I'll have to come in and do some training when everyone else is away.
But I'll be back at Loftus Road on Sunday to cheer the lads on against Stoke and say a big thank you to the QPR fans for their support all year.
Obviously there's been a bit of bad blood between us and Stoke in the last few years, so I'm sure our fans won't be too disappointed if we stop them getting into the play-offs - and, as an ex-Port Vale man, I wouldn't have any problem with that either.
It's all about keeping our professionalism and trying to make sure we finish as high up the table as possible and with a few more points to our name than last season.
I'm told Jake Cole played well up at Wolves on Saturday and I'm pleased to hear that because I rate him as one of the best young goalkeepers around.
I remember saying a couple of years ago in the matchday programme that Jake could be a star in the making and I stand by that. His attitude is fantastic, he's always willing to learn and he puts in a lot of extra hours.
I think it's been hard to judge him from the odd game here and there, he probably needs to get a run of about 10 appearances before you can really see his potential.
Jake and the other players who have come in will want to impress the gaffer and leave a good taste in his mouth ahead of next season.
It'd be great to think all my team-mates will still be here next season, but football isn't like that and some of them will be leaving this summer.
The gaffer's very astute, he knows who he wants to keep and he'll be totally straight with everyone - there'll be no beating around the bush.
Finally, I just want to wish Prav Mathema all the best in his new job. I'm sure he'll do well and I'm really sad to see him leave.
After Rosey and Rowly, I've probably been Prav's best customer over the years, but he has been paramount in helping to keep me fit.
I can honestly say he's the best physio I've worked with - and it's not just medical matters, Prav organises your lifestyle for you too!

He's one of the lads, always joins in with all the banter and everyone at QPR will miss him. Good luck Prav! Kilburn Time

Blog Archive