QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Quarter of a Century Since QPR's FA Cup Final at Wembley vs Spurs

A quarter of a century ago: May 22nd 1982 QPR's first - and so far, sole - FA Cup Final.

Terry Venables Queens Park Rangers against Keith Burkinshaw's Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley. (Unfortunately QPR drew the first game after extra time and lost the replay - robbed!). If Allen hadn't been injured so soon in the game...If Roeder hadn't been suspended in the replay...If Wicks hadn't been cup-tied for both games. But especially the injury to Allen...And a bit more luck, QPR would have won it.

Fenwick Hazell Roeder Gillard
Gregory Waddock Currie Flanagan
Allen Stainrod
Sub: Micklewhite

Hazard Hughton Miller Price
Perryman Roberts Galvin Hoddle
Crooks Archibald
Substitutes: Brooke

QPR 1-1 Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough 2 QPR 3

Blackpool 0 QPR 0
QPR 5 Blackpool 1

QPR 3 Grimsby 1

QPR 1 Crystal Palace 0


The Final
Comprehensive Covergae at Wikipedia on 1982 Cup Final and the path there

A "Where Are They Now:" Gregory and Waddock and Roeder is well known. Allen is coach at Spurs.

See also: FA Cup Archives 1981-1982

See 2002 QPR Net Interview with Peter Hucker - QPR Net/Hucker Q&A

See: 2003 QPR Net Interview with Gary Waddock - QPR Net/Waddock Q&A

Tottenham Hotspur v QPR 1982 FA Cup Final DVD.
Product Code: dvd2544
Tottenham Hotspur v Queens Park Rangers 1982 FA Cup Final

The unforgettable cup success of 1981 paved the way for quite a remarkable season at White Hart Lane, as Keith Burkenshaw prepared his team for a four-pronged attack at both home and abroad. But it would be the FA Cup in which success would be tasted once again, as Tottenham overcame a spirited Queens Park Rangers after yet another Cup Final replay.

Aiming to equal Aston Villa’s record of seven FA Cup triumphs, Spurs were undoubtedly the stronger of the two teams, but a resilient Queens Park Rangers defence stood between them and the opening goal, and Wembley seemed destined to be heading for it’s first goalless FA Cup Final. But with only eleven minutes of extra time remaining, Glenn Hoddle’s goal appeared to clinch victory, only for Terry Fenwick to equalise just five minutes later to force a replay.

If the best was saved until last in the first clash, the replay was to be the exact opposite, with the match only six minutes old before witnessing it’s first pivotal moment. As Roberts looked to create an early opportunity, Currie’s challenge was deemed illegal, and Glenn Hoddle, like the five Wembley penalty takers before him, converted the spot by sending Hucker the wrong way.

Despite chances at both ends, Hoddle’s penalty kick proved decisive, and the solitary goal was enough to clinch Spur’s seventh FA Cup in their centenary year, and become the first team for twenty years to retain the trophy for two successive seasons, equalling the achievements of the Spurs’ teams of the early sixties who won the cup in both 1961 and 1962.

Relive and enjoy yet another landmark day in Tottenham Hotspur’s illustrious history, with the full ninety minutes of the replay and highlights from the first match in this specially produced programme DVD

Blog Archive