QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ledesma on QPR and Gonoa ....QPR's Ex-QPR Paul Furlong Talks of His New Challenge...Awaiting Signings...General List of Transfers Completed

-
On QPR Italia Blog, QPR's new signing, Emmanuel Jorge Ledesma interviewed speaking about Genoa, Italian football and QPR: Intervista a Ledesma: "Al QPR col Genoa nel cuore" and a Web translation


PFA's Give Me Football/Mark Shail - Q&A WitH Paul Furlong
He may be turning 40 in October, but new Southend signing Paul Furlong says he still has the hunger and desire to be a success at Roots Hall. The former Chelsea and Watford striker, who spent last season at Luton, has signed a one-year-deal with the Shrimpers and insists he is not entering the final 'furlong' of his career.

"I want to play a big part at Southend. I don't want to be a bit-part player, but that ultimately is down to me and how well I play. I'm not here to make up the numbers," said Furlong, who is just nine goals short of breaking the 200-barrier.

"I'm getting to the end of my career but I still have the hunger to do well and I cant wait to get started. Hopefully my experience will help those around me. I did that at Luton last year and I enjoyed passing on the things I have learnt throughout my career.

"When I got to about 28, I was thinking how long I wanted to go on for and I always thought I would play on until I was around 38. But I'm passed that now and I feel fine to carry on. I played 39 games for Luton last season and I will play again this season and see how things are next summer."

Furlong is eventually eyeing a coaching role when he finally hangs up his boots but for now he is focusing on trying to help Steve Tilson's men win promotion to the Championship.

At my age chances are few and far between and I'm delighted to be here. It's a great club and the way the team finished last season I think we can do really well this year."

Tilson added: "Paul is still in great shape and as well as that he will be a good character to have around the club and in the dressing room.

"He's experienced and I thought he played well against us when he was at Luton last season. He got 12 goals for them and hopefully he can be like Shaun Goater was for us during his time here a couple of years ago."

Meanwhile, former Southend midfielder Mark Gower has been explaining why he chose to leave the club and sign for Swansea. The 29-year-old turned down the offer of a new two-year deal at Roots Hall in favour of a crack at Championship football.

He said: "There were a few things which made my mind up but the major one was that I would be playing in the Championship again. I obviously played at that level the season before last with Southend and for me, personally, I thought I did quite well, scoring ten goals. You get to play some great teams at some great grounds and I cant wait to do it again.

"League One is a good test but to be honest it doesnt excite me. Swansea are a big club with excellent facilities and the contract they have offered me, with the option of a third year, swayed me as well." Give Me Football

Exactly a year ago, Paul Furlong joined Luton. It was a bad year for Luton, but Furlong himself had a good year - especially for a 38/39 year old.


Transfers: Meanwhile as the players continue pre-season training, and fans await the announcement of further new signings (the names of several of whom, fans already "know" - but until they're actually signed/announced...


Meanwhile a general list of Player Transfers, as "floodgates" open. A few of the names at one time, had a QPR connection, and presumably quite a few more one-time QPRs (there are a lot of them!) will be moving around: July Transfers --- June Transfers

Blog Archive