QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, July 07, 2008

QPR's New Signing Joe Oastler Looks Back/Look Forward

-
The News (Portsmouth) Oastler dreaming again
Joe Oastler is bidding for QPR stardom – just months after he thought his footballing dream was over.
The 18-year-old was shown the Fratton Park exit door at the end of last season after nine years on Pompey's books.
One of seven Academy youngsters to be released, it was heartbreak for the Blues-mad Milton youngster.
Yet Oastler bounced back to star at the Premier League exit trials and spark a 13-club chase for his signature.
Among them were Rangers, Southampton and Hull while former England manager Glenn Hoddle wanted him to join his Spanish Academy.
But it's QPR who won the central defender's vote, awarding him a one-year professional deal.
And, after spending the past week training with his new team-mates, the dream is still very much alive for the former Milton Cross schoolboy.
Oastler said: 'Obviously I was upset after being released by Pompey, but there was no way I was going to give up.
'I'd been with them since the age of eight, I'd had a season ticket for eight years, I live two minutes from Fratton Park.
'I support them and I always will – they are my team.
'Unfortunately it wasn't to be, that's how football is, but I was determined not to let that stop me.
'There were 60 lads who went to the exit trials in Warwick and I knew I had no choice – I had to perform otherwise I would not have got anywhere.
'You only have two 40-minute games to impress in as well, but fortunately it worked out and 13 clubs came in for me.
'Glenn Hoddle rang me up personally – I thought it was my mates winding me up. But I wanted a pro contract and QPR were the first club that came in for me.
'I was upset when I was released from Pompey but I'm definitely happy now.'
Oastler, who played three games for Bognor in April, isn't the only one of Pompey's discards to find himself another club.
John Page has joined Motherwell, goalkeeper Nick Jordan has linked up with Hereford while striker Steve Walker is now on Havant & Waterlooville's books.
And having spent the past week in QPR training, Oastler is relishing pressing ahead with his footballing dream.
He said: 'On Monday we had a meeting with Iain Dowie who told us we are all going to get a good opportunity and he's looking forward to working with us.
'At the moment I am with the youth team and reserves but hopefully I'll get my chance.
'The facilities are decent, we play at Chelsea's old training ground with some lovely pitches. It's only an hour and 10 minutes drive from my house as well so I will end up commuting most days.
'It's now up to me to impress and try to earn a longer deal.' The News

Blog Archive