QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Paladini Takes Responsibility For Axing Gregory

-
The Daily Mail takes note that Chairman Paladini takes responsibility for the firing of John Gregory. (Also what the Express and BBC cites Paladini)

Mail - Paladini takes rap for Gregory's axe
Taking responsibility: QPR chairman Gianni Paladini
Gianni Paladini, the Queens Park Rangers chairman, claims he was behind the dismissal of manager John Gregory, and not new owner Flavio Briatore, the Renault Formula One boss.
Paladini said: "It was my decision to sack John. It was a hard one to make but the prospective new owners back me. They want success."
Coach Mick Harford has been put in charge of the Championship's bottom club for tomorrow's game at Colchester and the home fixtures against Norwich and Ipswich.
Despite reports linking Gianluca Vialli with the role, Paladini said: "Mick has the chance to stake a claim for the job full-time." Mail

BBC -
"Chairman Gianni Paladini told BBC 5live: "It was a very hard thing to do. I have nothing but admiration for what John has done for the club.
"We are very good friends but John understands these things happen in football. You've got to win games and if you don't, you've got a problem." ...
Gregory's position came under further scrutiny when Formula One magnates Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone began the process of taking over the club.
Paladini said he alone had taken the decision to sack Gregory, although he had informed Briatore and Ecclestone of his plans.
"It was a decision to make I had to make as chairman and I've done it," he said.
"But they are investing in the club so I had to tell them what was going to happen.
"It was a very hard thing to do for me to it and I don't want to make too much of a comment about it. BBC

Daily Express
"...People have invested a lot of money in the club,” said Paladini. “Football is cruel, but when you are losing games, it is not a good situation. I am friends with John, so it is sad, but I always say it is not me who sacks managers. It is the results that get them sacked.
“John was surprised to be sacked, but the results are there for all to see. The game at West Brom was shown live all over the world.
“It was my decision to sack John. It was a hard one to make, but the prospective new owners back me. They want success. At the moment Mick is in charge of the team, and he has the chance to stake a claim for the job full-time.”
Ecclestone and Briatore are expected to formally complete their takeover at a meeting at Loftus Road on November 5. Express

Blog Archive