QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, January 07, 2008

Snippets: Shittu Speaks on Departure...Routledge Celebrates...Waddock's Leaders...Remembering Blackburn Two Years Ago Today

-
Watford Official Site DAN: I'LL LEAVE 'ORNS IN GOOD HAND
AFTER heading a two goal salvo that saw his side through to the fourth round of the FA Cup yesterday (Saturday), Dan Shittu admitted it was a bitter-sweet time, as he prepares to leave his Watford team mates behind for up to six weeks.
The gargantuan centre-half scored from corners either side of the break against Crystal Palace to secure a 2-0 win, but with the African Cup of Nations set to kick-off shortly, the defender is due to fly out to link up with his Nigeria colleagues for the competition.
Speakin after his double yesterday, Dan told the official website: "It's exactly that - bitter-sweet, You're happy that you're representing your country and I'm very happy that I'll be going out there to play some games at least, but to be leaving Watford at this time, after the buzz has come back, is disappointing.
"As an African player this is something that you have to go through. Hopefully everything goes well for me when I get out there and everything goes well for Watford whilst I'm away.
"I'll speak to all of the guys and still keep in touch with them, I'll be calling them every day, checking the scores online and I'll still be giving them my support from Africa.
"I know that the guys we have got now are so good that they'll keep it going without me. One person doesn't make a team."
Shittu will leave behind a young family - his wife and two children - for what could be a prolonged period of action in Ghana, running from 20 January to the 10 February, this after Nigeria's training camp beforehand.
"That's the hardest thing," he said, speaking of leaving his family in the UK. "My kids are young at the moment. When I go to away games and leave for a day it is hard enough to explain it to them, but when you've got to go for a month or so, it is hard.
"They are growing up and learning, but they'll learn that this is part of what you have got to do as a man, to earn your living, and that'll make them stronger as well."
Focusing on football matters, Shittu was glad to have played a major part in lifting the gloom that has gathered at the Vic, since Watford's last home win against Hull City way back in October.
"The most important thing was to win," said the 27-year old, adding "the home form hasn't been that good.
"The number one thing was for us to come back and show the fans that we can play and win at home.
"We are very happy to have won and to have kept a clean sheet as well. It's definitely a big relief, to be able to win away and to not be able to win on your own ground is disappointing to us.
Shittu took his personal goal tally to an astonishing seven for the season, with six goals coming in his last eight appearances.
"I'm still kind of surprised about my record so far, although I was disappointed not to get more today as I could have had about four, but to be a centre-half and score two goals means I'm very happy.
"I've got to try and keep it going and my aim is to get at least ten goals this season, and in every game I will just be trying to get up there for set pieces and score goals." Watford


QPR's Possible Signing Wayne Routldge turns 23
See - Wikipedia/Routledge or Bio


Cheers to Gary Waddock, whose Aldershot won 2-1 at Northwich and are now seven points at the top of the Conference
Aldershot 26 61
Torquay 24 54
Stevenage 25 52
Burton Albion 24 45
League Table


Two Years ago Today: QPR's FA Cup Visit to Blackburn ended in QPR defeat. (The match was also memorable for the pre-match dressing room briefing by manager Ian Holloway which was showed by QPR World.
The two teams:
QPR: Royce 6, Bignot 5, Shittu 5, Rose 5, Milanese 6, Rowlands 5, Santos 5 (Ainsworth 55min, 7), Langley 6, Cook 5 (Donnelly 75min, 6), Baidoo 6, Furlong 5 (Moore 75min, 6)
BLACKBURN STAR MAN: Craig Bellamy (Blackburn)
Player ratings. Blackburn: Friedel 6, Neill 8, Todd 6, Khizanishvili 6, Matteo 6, Thompson 6, Savage 7 (Pedersen 77min, 6), Tugay 7, Peter 8, Dickov 6 (Kuqi 77min, 6), Bellamy 9
Scorers: Blackburn: Todd 17, Bellamy 36, Bellamy 86
- See Match Reports

Blog Archive