QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Ainsworth's Honeymoon Ends: QPR Lose at Ipswich

QPR lost to two goals in the last 20 minutes as QPR lost 2-0 at Ipswich but stay seventh in the Championship.

Ipswich Official Site - Ipswich 2 QPR 0
Two goals in four minutes from substitute Jon Stead made extended Town's run to one defeat in 11 games.
The September signing from Sheffield United forced the ball in three minutes after coming on midway through the second-half and then headed in a second from Owen Garvan's corner to take his tally to five for the season, all at Portman Road.
Town made one change from the team that drew with Charlton in midweek, David Norris returning from suspension, Stead making way with Jon Walters starting up front.
Owen Garvan went into referee Trevor Kettle's book after five minutes for a mistimed tackle on Lee Cook, the Rangers player having the first shot of note soon after, Richard Wright holding firm.
Wright's opposite number, Radek Cerny did well under pressure to punch clear from Garvan's free-kick as Gareth McAuley challenged, the Town skipper then claiming he was held in the box as he attacked another Garvan free-kick.
Cook sent a free-kick against the bar for Rangers on the quarter hour and a minute later Rangers went even closer to taking the lead, Daniel Parejo's cross met by Martin Rowlands' header eight yards out but Wright pulled off a fantastic save, diving low to his left.
Alan Quinn hooked over for Blues, David Norris tested Cerny with a left foot effort with Samuel Di Carmine doing the same to Wright at the other end.
Rowlands fired over from distance, with Rangers' neat and tidy football winning a succession of free-kicks in the Town half, Wright smothering Parejo's right footed curler behind.
Garvan had Blues' clearest opening of the first-half eight minutes before the break, a Walters and Norris led break saw the ball fall to the midfielder at the far post but Damion Stewart threw his body in the way of the shot. Cerny punching the loose ball clear.
Town started the second-half brightly, Walters going close with a right footed effort over the bar, then he headed at Cerny from a corner.
Wright held firm from Cook's cross, while Town continued to threaten from set-pieces, McAuley heading just wide from Garvan's delivery.
Di Carmine was booked after a foul on Naylor, the Italian then making way for Dexter Blackstock just before the hour, Pablo Counago replacing Quinn in Town's first change.
Counago's first touch released Lisbie in on goal but Cerny saved low to his right.
Veliche Shumulikoski' dipping volley from 25 yards was dealt with comfortably by the Rangers 'keeper.
QPR made a second change with Akos Buzsaky making way for Emmanuel Ledesma, Lisbie doing likewise for Stead.
Richard Naylor did well to stop the breaking Cook as both sides looked for the breakthrough, Wright tipping over from Cook's corner. Cook then firing just wide in a mini personal attack on the Town goal.
The goal came on 71 minutes, McAuley flicking on, Counago got a touch and Stead forced the ball over the line at the second attempt with his head after Cerny had saved the initial effort.
And the former Sheffield United signing made it two four minutes later, heading in from Garvan's corner.
Counago chipped over from 12 yards after good work by Stead, then shot at the 'keeper again after taking Stead's pass in his stride.
Stead was only denied a hat-trick by the width of the post when he sent a curler from 25 yards against the woodwork before a final blast on the whistle from referee Kettle.
Town: R.Wright, Volz, McAuley, Naylor, D.Wright, Norris, Garvan, Shumulikoski, Quinn (Counago 59), Walters, Lisbie (Stead 68). Subs not used: Supple, Miller, Bruce, Booked: Garvan
QPR: Cerny, Connolly, Stewart, Hall, Delaney, Buzsaky (Ledesma 68), Tommasi, Rowlands, Cook, Parejo, Di Carmine (Blackstock 57). Subs not used: Mahon, Gorkss, Cole. Booked: Di Carmine. Att: 20,966 Ipswich Official Site

QPR Official Site - Ipswich 2 QPR 0
QPR's four-match unbeaten run ground to a shuddering halt, as super-sub Jon Stead scored twice in four second half minutes at a wet and windy Portman Road.
The former Sunderland and Sheffield United striker bundled home his first on 71 minutes, then coolly headed a second from an Owen Garvan corner three minutes later.
The victory margin was tough on the R's, who had fashioned chances throughout, but a series of fine saves from Richard Wright and the face of the woodwork denied Gareth Ainsworth's men.
Rangers' failure to score yet again, means it is now over 500 minutes since their last goal on the road.
From the side that memorably beat Birmingham in midweek, Ainsworth made three changes. Dexter Blackstock dropped to the bench for Daniel Parejo to regain a starting place. Akos Buzsaky followed the Spaniard at the expense of Emmanuel Ledesma and Damien Delaney filled in for the suspended Mikele Leigertwood.
After sitting out Town's midweek clash with Charlton Athletic, David Norris returned to the starting line-up for the home side. Striker Stead made way for the midfielder, occupying a seat on the bench.
The first chance arrived after seven minutes and it fell Lee Cook's way. Buzsaky found Parejo bursting forward and when the on-loan midfielder lost control, the loose ball rolled out to Cook on the left. The diminutive winger took a touch and drove a shot straight at Richard Wright.
Cook went close minutes later as his fizzing right-wing free-kick cannoned off the bar with Wright motionless.
Rangers were asserting themselves on the match and Martin Rowlands was denied by a fantastic save from the home keeper. Parejo had spotted the Irishman's burst into the box and delivered a beautiful centre from the left which Rowlands met with a firm header. Wright, however, was equal to it and dived low to his left to parry smartly.
Ipswich were by no means lying down and Norris was denied by a well positioned Radek Cerny after curling a left-footed 20-yarder towards goal.
Rangers struck back, and Wright comfortably saved Di Carmine's shot on the turn from outside the box.
Rowlands followed the Italians' example and tried a similar shot following good build up play from Parejo and Cook, but only succeeded in crashing his drive well over the Tractor Boys' bar.
Parejo got in on the act seconds later when his curling, dipping free-kick saw Wright dive down to his right to smother well.
Ipswich had a glorious chance to open the scoring seven minutes before half time. After Buzsaky's free-kick hit the wall, Town broke quickly and Norris' cross ricocheted around the R's penalty area before breaking to Garvan. The young Irishman was only denied smashing home by Fitz Hall diving in and executing a brilliant block tackle to thwart the danger.
Ipswich were buoyed by the chance and Jonathan Walters broke free and tried to fire an effort across Cerny, but the Czech keeper stuck to his task and saved well low to his right.
And with that the half was drawn to a close.
After the restart, Ipswich took the initiative and Garvan in particular was pulling strings in midfield. Delaney had to be at his best to deny his latest attack with a fine tackle under pressure.
Walters again threatened, this time from a corner, but his header lacked the power to worry Cerny.
Garvan again was the architect as his free-kick was headed inches wide by Richard Naylor.
With the clock ticking towards the hour mark, Ainsworth made his first change introducing Blackstock for Di Carmine.
It was Ipswich who continued to pose the greater attacking threat however. Poor communication between Delaney and Damiano Tommasi allowed Kevin Lisbie to race clean through, but the former Colchester hit-man fired straight at Cerny.
Veliche Shumulikoski forced Cerny into yet another save with a rasping 25-yard volley that dipped and swerved but ultimately lacked the power to really test the Czech.
Argentine midfielder Ledesma replaced Buzsaky and immediately found the pace of the game, riding a tackle before slipping a perfectly weighted through ball for Cook, who's shot was only blocked by the retreating Naylor.
From the resultant corner, Parejo nearly caught out Wright with an inswinging effort, which the Ipswich custodian did well to tip over.
The next set-piece was only half cleared toward the edge of the box, where Cook returned the ball with interest, but could only flash a left footed drive inches wide.
Ipswich made the most of the reprieve as with their next foray into Rangers territory, they took the lead. Substitute Stead poached home at the second attempt, after Cerny could only parry his initial effort.
Almost immediately, the home side doubled their advantage when Stead stooped to head home his second from the edge of the six-yard box.
Despite a glut of late chances for the home side, the score remained at 2-0 and gave Caretaker boss Ainsworth his first taste of defeat. QPR

Jon Stead's second-half double inspired Ipswich to a 2-0 win in the Coca-Cola Championship clash with QPR at Portman Road.
It was a tale of two halves as QPR were made to pay for their first-half profligacy as Stead netted twice in three second-half minutes to seal all three points for Jim Magilton's men.
The former Blackburn and Sheffield United striker was on hand to head home Gareth McAuley's cross in the 72nd minute before again rising above the visiting defence to nod home his second following an Owen Garvan corner.
QPR dominated the opening period and Ipswich had goalkeeper Richard Wright to thank for keeping them in the game.
The 30-year-old recaptured some of the form that once earned him an England call-up as he produced a string of stunning saves to keep QPR at bay.
On-loan Fulham midfielder Lee Cook was in the sort of scintillating form which persuaded Fulham to part with £2.5million last year as his free-kick from the edge of the area rattled the crossbar with Wright rooted to the spot.
Wright was forced to take more decisive action in the 16th minute as he stooped to make a superb save to keep out Martin Rowlands' downward header, and he then tipped on-loan Real Madrid striker Daniel Parejo's ferocious 35-yard free-kick around the post at full stretch.
The home side were being played off their own turf by the visitors and Alan Quinn's rising 25-yard shot summed up the home fans' frustrations as the ball ballooned high into the stands
Temporary QPR player-manager Gareth Ainsworth brought in Damien Delaney for the suspended Mikele Leigertwood after he was dismissed in Tuesday's win over Birmingham, while midweek matchwinner Samuel Di Carmine was again preferred to Patrick Agyemang in attack.

David Norris returned from suspension to partner Veliche Shumulikoski in the heart of midfield for Ipswich.

The home side were rejuvenated after the interval and two shots in quick succession from Norris and Jonathan Walters threatened to break the deadlock.

Ainsworth introduced towering striker Dexter Blackstock for the ineffective Di Carmine but it was the home side who continued to press.
Striker Kevin Lisbie could only muster a weak effort as the defence opened up in front of him while Shumulikoski's long -range effort failed to trouble Radek Cerny.
But the Tractor Boys got their reward in the 72nd minute when Stead, who had only been on the pitch for four minutes, headed home McAuley's cross from the left wing.
And before QPR had time to regroup, Stead doubled the home side's advantage as he rose above the static R's defence to nod home Garvan's 75th-minute corner.
The visitors were shell-shocked and were helpless as Ipswich continued to lay siege to Cerny's goal as Pablo Counago twice went close and Stead's fine turn and shot came back off the pot to deny him a memorable hat-trick. Sporting Life

- Offer your views at the QPR Report Messageboard

Blog Archive